X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting Quark 8 documents to InDesign CS5.5

Last summer, the newspaper I work for upgraded to Quark 8 and within the next few weeks, our computer systems and software will be upgraded to CS5.5. Up until now, everything we have is in Quark, either Quark 8 or multiple other versions.

We are looking for a faster way of converting our Quark docs to InDesign so that we won't have to re-build each individual advertisement we run. Anything to save us time really.(We have a lot of ads)

We've heard of Q2InD but my boss isn't too sure about the company, we've never heard of them before.

I think what we really want to know is if Q2InD is worth the purchase and if it will work with our current and future software versions. Or if there is any other way of converting the files.

Thanks

Markzware has been around for a long time and is a very reputable company. Their conversion software works pretty good, you'll generally have to tweak the converted files but it is often easier than redoing them completely.

Comment

+1 for Markzware & Q2ID. The software does a good job, but you have to tweak, as Kool said.
      This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
      "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

Yup, Markzware is good.
        Watch your word wrap...

Comment

I'll echo what everyone else said. It works pretty well. There are some little things that you'll have to manually fix (usually text flow) but it works pretty well.
          http://brokenspokedesign.com

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like it could save us a lot of time, even with the editing after the conversion. Now it's just to convince the boss lol.

Comment

Originally posted by MillerK View Post
              Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like it could save us a lot of time, even with the editing after the conversion. Now it's just to convince the boss lol.
              Phrase it so it makes it sound like you'll be saving the company money.

ie "Sure, it could cost $x now, but it will save me hours in every job, so we can get the work done faster".

If you really want to make a strong case, do a bit of number crunching, work out how much time will be saved and how much that time is worth to the company.

Seriously get Q2ID. Its almost essential.

Comment

If you email Markzware and ask them to convert a file for you they will - for a fee though. But you'll get to see what the conversion does and if the purchase is worth it for your company.

"May your hats fly as high as your dreams"Michael Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Paj View Post
                  Phrase it so it makes it sound like you'll be saving the company money.

ie "Sure, it could cost $x now, but it will save me hours in every job, so we can get the work done faster".

If you really want to make a strong case, do a bit of number crunching, work out how much time will be saved and how much that time is worth to the company.

Seriously get Q2ID. Its almost essential.
                  Totally agree.

When we first switched, we had tons of files to be converted. Now that we've been using InDesign for so many years, it's not so essential. All the important stuff has already been converted, and anything that's left needs to be redesigned anyway, because it looks old.

It's completely worth the expense in the hours you'll save.
                  This post is brought to you by the letter E and the number 9. Those are the buttons I push to get a Twix out of the candy machine.
                  "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."

Comment

I create an account just to tell you how great Markzware's Q2ID is! Like others have already mentioned, it saved me tons of time not having to start from scratch. It paid for itself on my first batch of work for a client, well worth every penny!

Good luck!

Comment

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us
                    Working...
                    X