Degrading ad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Degrading ad

I know that GDF is a free service, and I'm guessing that the owners depend on some ad revenue to make it worth their while. This is absolutely fine, good and the way its supposed to be. I could always install an ad blocker and just not see any ads here, but since ad revenue is the price of having this great forum online, I want to do my part by supporting those advertisers of interest who help make GDF possible.

On the other hand, there's this ad that I see here all too often that promotes something that, honestly, I find disgusting, insulting and undermining to the very integrity of the profession that this website serves.

Unfortunately we have no control over that and as you said they create revenue, so they are here to stay.

You could always use AB and then you won't see any ads

Comment

Those ads are generated by google. With about 90% of our threads now being some variation of "Look at my logo" that's the kinda crap that is gonna come up.

Just AB them. Despite what the broken counter says we are still packed with hundreds of guest at any given time. that is who clicks the ads and pays for the forum.

Comment

Blocked them all FTW!
        Sketching not only helps you work out good ideas, it helps you get past the bad ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Kool View Post
          Those ads are generated by google.
          If it's Google AdSense, the administrator of that account has the option to block ads from specific advertisers. But I also know that this is probably controlled at corporate HQ, so it becomes a more difficult issue to address.

Since I'm assuming most of the revenue is based on click-throughs, maybe clicking it a bunch of times and transferring money away from the offending company (whose name I will not mention) at the rate of about five dollars per day would be sort of appropriate. Then again, I know that I'm bordering on running afoul of Google's AdSense policies by suggesting such a thing, so I'll shut up now.

Comment

That ad somehow makes it past the corporate adblock we have in the firewall.
            I always think to myself, "well GOOD for YOU," when I see that goof's face. We should find out who the model is and ask him if he endorses the-company-that-will-remain-nameless.

As for Google's ad-sense policies, I didn't ask for that crap to be displayed on my screen. How can I help it if my cat happened to sit on my keyboard and click that thing 50 times by twitching his tail?
            <actually, he can't cuz at home I don't allow the ads at all, so there.>
            Last edited by PrintDriver; 07-29-2013, 06:22 AM.

Comment

We will block that ad. Thanks!
              Ivan Raszl | GDF Support

Comment

• skribe
                skribe commented
                Editing a comment
                A big thanks from all of us graphic designers! I am pretty sure that I have seen that one less than one hundred designs (crowd sourcing) ads too. It would be awesome to see them go away also.
                Last edited by PanToshi; 07-29-2013, 01:54 PM.

• Buda
                Buda commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Ivan!

• B
                B commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow! I'm highly impressed. Thank you very much!

I think that ad is kind of funny to be honest; as advertising a $5 logo to a bunch of graphic designers is about as misdirected and uncouth as a $5 logo would most likely be...
              Design is not decoration.

Comment

I think you guys should quit hating on $5 designs ... after all I got this sweet, sweet avatar for only five smackers.
                Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Buda
                  Buda commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a bargain! The crown alone looks like at least 23 months worth of work alone.

well people have different offers and different values. If i bother you just block ads

Comment

Ohhhh Fivrr. It's like the lowball services never end. I haven't heard of a single person getting value out of any service (we're talking everything from link building to poems) - it's just junk. A couple of years ago on a lot of the Internet marketing forums you'd read about the flipside of fivrr, the people that are actually doing the work for $5! It was amazing. These guys from 3rd world countries were advertising services for $5 that were farmed out to untrained, underpaid "staff" or even worse, completely automated SPAM (think link building and spamming comment forms).

So, yeah. If I ran this site I would block this ad out of principle, it's promoting garbage and devaluing a legit industry (professional services).

Comment

It your wish if you want to block them or not. You can use some ad blockers so that the ads will not appear on your page.
                    NureA, its not like that all ads are bothering us. Some ads are also helpful to us. But if excess ads appear on a page it will definitely bother someone from doing other activities which is not good.

Comment

Hi maccum and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read the threads posted HERE, particularly this threadto get acquainted with how things work on GDF. They explain how the forum runs, the rules, frequently discussed topics and our inside jokes. Your first few posts will be moderated, so don't panic if they don't show up right away. Enjoy your stay!

It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Hey! Look on the bright side, at the least it's a flash add. (yay flash is still around!!!). I'm anonymously glad it's still around, sorry. (Sorry world, I've built some flash ads in my day, and they pay a nice sum). Apologies really.
                        Last edited by John G; 12-05-2013, 09:28 PM. Reason: MD made me do it.

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                        Working...
                        X