Important question regarding the forum, please view and vote

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important question regarding the forum, please view and vote

As you all know the Vbulletin 5 upgrade has been a disaster. The latest update is supposed to fix a lot but not all of the bugs that have been plaguing us. Unfortunately when we loaded the update we still had serious issues that required us to abandon it. Ivan thinks these issues can be solved. Another option we have been kicking around is to archive the entire old forum as as read only and starting fresh with a brand new platform.

We would like to hear from you, what do you guys think?
    Stay the course and hope they get this software fixed
    6.67%
    Go for a complete forum re-boot on a new platform with the old forum archived and read only
    93.33%

The poll is expired.

Vb must have sent their best and brightest to work for healthcare dot gov. Whatever you decide. At this point it can't really get any worse, right?

Comment

y vote for the archive I totall

Comment

• Kool
        Kool commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL :sigh:

• garricks
        garricks commented
        Editing a comment
        There you have it.

• KitchWitch
        KitchWitch commented
        Editing a comment
        LMAO - Quote of the Week!!
        Last edited by KitchWitch; 10-25-2013, 02:15 PM.

Well, after sitting with my vote in the bubble but not recorded, mulling it over, and then reading on FB...I made the choice i was thinking of doing.

While it does SUCK to lose active threads, and SUCK to redesign or redo this forum Yet Again...I think it can't HURT to give it a try (albeit money, time, effort) But the forum now is a hindrance rather than something I love to go to and chat with others. My job, plus the new forum make it harder and harder to find, post, search and read through it (especially on Mobile where the Ads take-up 50% of the tiny page).

Some other forums I post within seem to be running VBulletin 4. I think we went from 3 to 5. Anyway, before the dead horse kills everyone, maybe we need to bury it and move along, no sense dressing up the dead horse and hoping to move forward.
      Dribbble Page
      Behance Portfolio
      Linkedin Profile

Comment

I just left a scathing review on vBulletin's FB page. Not like it will matter, but it made me feel slightly better. *shrug* I say F vBulletin. F them hard. They simply can't get their shit together, it's obvious. Time to move forward with a clean slate.

blog/portfolio

Comment

• Bladez
          Bladez commented
          Editing a comment
          good call...should go and do the same....

Most of my forum activity came from the use of Tapatalk so I haven't been around much since the upgrade. Because of that, I haven't had much experience with the new platform, but seeing how everyone seems to have so much trouble with it, I will also vote for the second option.
        "I used to wonder what friendship could be, Until you all shared its magic with me." - Jesus Christ

Comment

lletin made it clear that...sunnavbiotch!!!! I think vB

^^ I think vBulletin has made it clear that they are not interested in providing a functioning piece of software —It doesn't even function well on it's root level. I think the v in vBulletin now stands for vileBulletin.
          Last edited by kemingMatters; 10-25-2013, 02:30 PM.
          Design is not decoration.

Comment

• Bladez
            Bladez commented
            Editing a comment
            Your first line made me laugh....so maybe there is one advantage to VB5...watching it frustrate the hell out of everyone else and laughing at their misfortune....

well, funny until it happens to me....

• kemingMatters
            kemingMatters commented
            Editing a comment
            It happens 90% of the time I try to post... sometimes vB gets even more ornery when I try to cursor back or copy/paste it into correctness, so I leave it. It reminds me of my very first cell phone, it took photos and played music but it failed to function like a phone.

• salsa
            salsa commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh thank god I'm not the only one. I just came back to the forum a few weeks ago, experienced the new format, and was wondering if I was losing my mind. I also thought I was going to have to take a class on attaching images.

Here's vBulletin's FB Page if anyone wants to rant on them:

https://www.facebook.com/vbulletin

blog/portfolio

Comment

so... i voted to start over, not sure why since my vote shouldn't count since i haven't even posted in the forum for probably 2 or 3 years since i got a store front & not working from the house. but i do occasionally search for answers to problems. i wish i could squeeze some forum time in more often but also happy to be busy.
            Steeler Born, Steeler Bred And When I Die I'll be Steeler Dead!

Comment

• garricks
              garricks commented
              Editing a comment
              Congratulations Gary! That's great news for you.

This question might be good to put on the FB page as well. If I remember correctly, we have at least a few regulars who literally cannot access the new forum still (sign in issues, errors, etc.) Though we can probably guess how they'd vote.
            Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

If it were up to me, I'd either revert back to pre-VB5 or head to another platform altogether, like phpBB, which lacks a few built-in cool admin features, but is a whole lot less buggy. If that means starting over — even if it means re-registering — so be it. What we've got now just isn't working well enough to continue.

I've learned to live with the bugginess, but for new forum members, those not-quite-so-committed as the regulars or those having more specialized problems, like accessing the site via TapaTalk, it's pretty much a deal killer that will eventually cause forum traffic to decline to the point where it's no longer viable. LinkedIn design groups and Facebok are doing a pretty good job siphoning of traditional forum users, and I'm sure a whole lot more of us are spending more time there than we once did here.

Comment

Reboot - no question in my mind.

(from FB)

a reboot is a pain in the ass and we will have to start all our favorite threads all over again ... but you know what .... we can do that My heart breaks for how fast this forum went down hill thanks to VB and it's shit software. I say reboot it and with ANOTHER platform and demand our money back from VB. Someone mentioned we might lose people .... well we've already lost quite a few. Maybe we might just get them back if we have a forum they can actually use and not be plagued by constant problems.

Comment

• garricks
                  garricks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sing it, sister!

Wow.. been a while since I've been here.. what happened to all the green!?

Comment

• garricks
                  garricks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey TBP, what'cha been up to?

• TheBluePanda
                  TheBluePanda commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi! Keeping busy, still working in the creative field, now living in the DC area. Oh and I had a child, who is now 1 years old.

• Drazan
                  Drazan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dang you've been busy! Congrats on your little one!

Well....if you haven't figure out who won.... LMAO Sheesh!!! THis is as bad of a landslide as the Carter-Reagan election in 1979!!! LOL
                "Go ahead, make your logos in PS. We charge extra money to redraw your logo into vector art so it can be printed on promotional product. Cha CHING! " - CCericola

Comment

• PanToshi
                  PanToshi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Didja vote?

• darkwolf29a
                  darkwolf29a commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL. Yeppers. Betcha can't tell what I voted for!!!!! LOL

I evened out the poll for you guys

I am not a fan of the new software - but is the other forum software that much better or is switching to a different forum software just going to give you a new set of headaches?
                Some advice is profound, some is clever. The above post is a good example of both.
                http://www.pedrospracticaljokes.blogspot.com/

Comment

• B
                  B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have nothing to do with the software here, but I do have quite a bit of experience as the owner/admin of a similar-sized outdoor recreation forum that I sold last year. I ran it off the free, open-source phpBB for over five years without a single software-related glitch.

Last year, I sold it to VerticalScope, a forum management company in Toronto. They subsequently moved it over to vBulletin (same software as here), but they're sticking at version 3.2.3 and refusing to move past that until vBulletin gets their act together, which I'm not sure will ever happen.

The past several versions of vBulletin have been dogs, with each one larding more garbage into the mixed and failing to address the core problems of the version preceded it. I have no idea what's going on at vBulletin, but they're self-destructing and seemingly unable to stop the implosion. Honestly, speaking from experience, I'd abandon this software without a second's hesitation before it's too late.

Right now, the current version of vBulletin is the buggiest forum software on the market. If a magic turnaround happens within the next several months, I'd be amazed. The success of forums is largely determined by the critical mass needed to keep the conversations going. Once it drops below that threshold, traffic turns into a free-fall with little hope of recovery.

Fortunately, the GDF's reputation and search engine rankings are keeping it afloat with new members, so it's got that going for it. But even that will be slowly frittered away if something doesn't change quickly. If it were me, I'd revert back to version 3.X (or whatever version of VB the forum was on before), but hey, I'm not running the show here -- just voicing opinions.
                  Last edited by B; 10-29-2013, 06:57 PM.

• Designia
                  Designia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You're very verbose
                  Last edited by Designia; 11-03-2013, 02:36 AM.

• B
                  B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It annoys some people, I know.

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
              Working...
              X