I've only been here about an hour and already ran into several problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've only been here about an hour and already ran into several problems

I'm frustrated. I was just writing up an introduction post on the Introduce Yourself forum and I kept getting this pop up saying the connection to the server was lost or something. I was just closing it because nothing else seemed wrong, I didn't know why it was coming up. Well I tried to hit the back space and of course that pop up came up and the browser freaked out and tried to go back, and when I went forward it said I didn't have permission to view the page, and what I typed got lost.

I also can't seem to subscribe to forums, it says I don't have permission to 'view the page' again.

Finally, uploading my profile picture was a headache. Uploading files directly didn't work at all. The file simply wouldn't attach. When I uploaded the file using a URL, the cropping tool broke and got stuck up. My profile picture saved, but the page locked up entirely.

So just a few nit picky things I ran into. Thought I would let you know. Back to typing up that introduce yourself post.

I don't know if you can edit posts or not, but I wan to add to this complaint. What on earth is wrong with the editor this forum uses? Am I the only person who can barely use it? It seems to broken. Hitting back space seems to randomly move the cursor somewhere in what I've typed. If I try to manually move the cursor back to edit something, it keeps jumping back to the end of what I've typed. Extremely frustrating, what on earth is wrong with it?

Comment

Hi Dylan and welcome to GDF.

As a new member, your first few posts are moderated, so they won't show up until they are approved by a moderator. That's why it seems like your posts are disappearing. Please be patient. We have enough issues with spam posts that this is the way we handle new members. As a new member, you are also limited as to what you can do. No worries, you'll be a regular member very quickly and hopefully things will improve for you. The forum is hinky, so not all problems may go away. We've notified the forum admins about the problems and they're doing the best they can.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done anything wrong, we ask every new member to read them.. Enjoy your stay.
      Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

• mightbedylan
        mightbedylan commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't had a problem with my posts disappearing. I understood that. It was more just a problem of using the forum. What I had typed got lost before I posted it. Sorry if I mis-worded my post. I understand the spam reduction.

• mightbedylan
        mightbedylan commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you mind if I ask you a quick Q? Can you edit posts?

There is a short window, like 5 mins, where you can edit your post.
      Design is not decoration.

Comment

First, when you log in, click the remember me box at the bottom of the login window. That will prevent the time-out feature from logging you out mid post and cures a few other problems.

A few users have resorted to typing in a text program and pasting in the post box.

This update is barely functional. It took several months to make it work as poorly as it does, much to the Admin's credit that he got it working at all. It sure did kill the forum. It's not as active as it once was, and not nearly as functional.

The edit function works for about 15, maybe 20 minutes, usually.

Comment

• mightbedylan
          mightbedylan commented
          Editing a comment
          Hm, alright. Thanks for this feedback.

Hey man. I feel you on these shortcomings. I'd have thought, since we're in a pretty web-savvy field, that there would be some really nice graphic design forums out there. Very surprised that this is among the best I've found.

Mods/Vets: Is there anything we as the community can do to help fix these issues? I for one am ITCHING for a good place to discuss design but with this functionality I doubt I'll have patience for it. I'd rather try to contribute than fade away into the category of new users who make a few posts and then are never heard from again.

Comment

• Evan Molina
          Evan Molina commented
          Editing a comment
          After posting a bit more, it doesn't seem so bad. The mobile layout is pretty weird to navigate still, lots of clutter with ads and an in-line organization, but all-in-all I feel a little bit better about posting here now. The problems you've brought up still exist, but they're not too hard to work around. Here's hoping things improve still! I'd love to see this place ramp up in activity like they're said to have been before.

• B
          B commented
          Editing a comment
          The forum is owned by a big media company, and it isn't exactly one of their bigger holdings. It likely doesn't generate enough profit to warrant a whole lot of attention from them. Ironically, we have, probably, a dozen forum members here who make their livings designing and trouble shooting these very kinds of website problems, but it's pretty much out of everyone's hands.

As it is, Kool, the admin, and we moderators do our best at keeping things active, but the heart of the problem really is the broken vBulletin software and the default vBulletin theme. Even if moving to a new platform meant abandoning or archiving the old database, I think it would be worth it since our Google rankings are high enough to sustain a constant stream of new traffic. As it is though, new forum members and many of the established ones get frustrated and don't hang around -- especially those who expect something built to the standards that they would expect of their own work.
          Last edited by B; 05-30-2015, 12:38 PM.

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• PanToshi
        Reply to Software that can do vector patterns?
        PanToshi
        Hi Thumper and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
        Today, 03:46 PM
      • PanToshi
        Reply to Looking for comments
        PanToshi
        Hi designers kent and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't...
        Today, 03:46 PM
      • PanToshi
        Reply to Flyer Crtitique
        PanToshi
        Hi Pobrien and welcome to GDF.

We ask all new members to read very important links here and here. These explain the rules, how the forum runs and a few inside jokes. No, you haven't done...
        Today, 03:40 PM
      • HotButton
        Reply to Flyer Crtitique
        HotButton
        There are a lot of opportunities for refinement there, so it's best to start with a general corrective statement: Everything is too large. More specifically, there is no focal point; no hierarchy; no...
        Today, 03:36 PM
      • pobrien
        Flyer Crtitique
        pobrien
        Hi,

I would greatly appreciate feedback on a flyer design for a promotional contest. I am transitioning from a 3D artist to more design work, so I know I have made some mistakes in spacing,...
        Today, 01:12 PM
      GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
      Working...
      X