Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the forum particularly quiet of late?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the forum particularly quiet of late?

Good evening, everyone.

As a new member to this excellent forum, I have no idea whether the current level of activity is to be expected, but it seems very quiet at just a few posts per day.

I only ask because the other fora I frequent regularly (gambling and billiards related) have all witnessed significant reductions in terms of traffic in recent years. Is it simply due to online behemoths such as Facebook and Twitter tempting away all the users, or is there another underlying cause?

The forum is busiest from Monday to Friday. It's quite slow on the weekends.

Like you mentioned with the other forums, this forum has slowed down considerably over the past two or three years. One problem here is that the forum software is a bit buggy. The other problem is that, like you suggested, the big social media sites (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.) have taken away lots of traffic. This forum has evolved from a beehive of activity, where graphic designers talked about all kinds of things, to a place where a few regular professionals mostly interact with and answer questions from beginners, hobbyists and students.

Comment

The last upgrade they did with VBulletin totally destroyed the interactivity of the forum. It's only been Kool's and the mods dedication that keeps it working. We lost a lot of members when the interface broke. Most did not come back.

Comment

Not many people use forums these days :/
        Chicago based graphic designer from a little border town in Scotland | Co-Owner of Kom Creative

Comment

Well, after a few months of inactivity, I'm back. So you have that going for ya. I'm from the future though (New Zealand time), so the time difference might be an issue.

This forum used to be HEAVING and I could barely keep up. But as B ad PD mentioned the upgrade almost killed the forum. We now know most of the bugs and can work around them. Maybe it's time to make a comeback?
          It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" Winnie the Pooh

Comment

• KitchWitch
            KitchWitch commented
            Editing a comment
            I think a lot of regulars just got out of the habit. Most of the glitches they complained about in the beginning have been fixed.

I'm guessing that in the, what, 13 years (?) the forum as been in existence that most of the early regulars have moved on up in the real world of design and have less time for playing. I'm still at the same job I was in back then, have no intention of moving and just hoping to hang in there until retirement.
          (plus I have absolutely no interest in TwitFace media so I haven't been distracted.)

Comment

This forum IS my distraction
            Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Comment

Might be worth promoting the forum on reddit? /r/graphicdesign & /r/commercialprinting might have some potential posters.
              Chicago based graphic designer from a little border town in Scotland | Co-Owner of Kom Creative

Comment

I don't like the shallow short attention spanned world of 80 characters or less. I like to go deeper with my socializing. Maybe it's a generational thing. My generation is just starting to die off.

Comment

Originally posted by designzombie View Post
                  I don't like the shallow short attention spanned world of 80 characters or less. I like to go deeper with my socializing. Maybe it's a generational thing. My generation is just starting to die off.
                  It has it's place, but I'm like you; I don't have a lot of use for the big social media sites. I have accounts on many of them, and mostly lurk around FaceBook on occasion to keep up with old friends and extended family members, but it's not really my thing. Forums like this one are good for more in-depth discussions and exploring issues with other people interested in the same sort of thing.

Comment

I quietly stalk the forum

Comment

I find the new version much slower, It s sluggish in loading. Is it not an AJAX framework?
                      "After all is said and done, more is said than done."
                      Aesop

Comment

Search

Collapse

Sponsor

Collapse

Incredible Stock

Latest Topics

Collapse

• B
                        Reply to Poster for a school project
                        B
                        A beach party poster really ought to show a beach. Also, there's insufficient contrast between the text and the background. The darkness of the photo makes it look a bit gloomy.
                        Today, 04:04 PM
                      • PrintDriver
                        Reply to Best Computer
                        PrintDriver
                        Yah, Adobe programs try to leverage the graphics card, but the attempt is often problematic. I have GPU enhance shut off on all my Adobe programs.
                        Any new computer will run Creative Cloud. If it's...
                        Today, 03:26 PM
                      • PrintDriver
                        PrintDriver
                        You need to fix the border so that the corners are the same. There should be a button to click for that in Illustrator. In Indesign it is automatic.

If you were trying for an optical illusion...
                        Today, 03:21 PM
                      • Troep
                        Troep
                        got some problems with saving the file...
                        Today, 02:40 PM
                      • Troep
                        Poster for a school project
                        Troep
                        What do you think about my poster that i have made for a school project

Today, 02:36 PM
                      GDF A division of Mediabistro Holdings Adweek | Mediabistro | Clio | Film Expo Group Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Copyright 2016 Mediabistro Holdings
                      Working...
                      X