A discouraging state of affairs

Maybe I’ll borrow my co-workers account next week and view it. Just so I’m not wrongly disparaging something. I got into it with Lynda years ago about some logo tutorials that were just plain wrong and never looked back.

I honestly cannot think of any instance of going from cut vinyl lettering to silk screening that is worthwhile without spending a lot of money, but I can see going from screening to vinyl if the conditions are right. The two are usually mutually exclusive and chosen as an output option for reasons beyond doing either/or.

Ah yes a lack of knowledge when it comes to PMS colours is always an alarm bell. In all seriousness I see this type of thing quite often and while sometimes it’s amusing other times it can be really frustrating to have to try to make sense out of and correct. I used to do collaborative work with a studio and not a single designer there knew what C and U meant on the Pantone chart.

The worst is that they assume that you can have the same Pantone value for both C and U.

The amount of brand guides I have read that have only specified C for Pantone colours. I suppose it’s up to the designer/printer to pick the correct pantone in relation to the stock.

Quite frankly, I’d be happy just to get the C color. The amount of branding guidelines that use CMYK for everything except maybe the logo lockup is astounding. Things like secondary colors or accent colors or even alternate logo colors. I’m not quite sure why I’m asking a designer for Pantone callouts on corporate colors when the thing I have in my hands today has been in development for 6 months. Not once in all that time did anyone think to ask?

Even better is the “Just print it, we know what the CMYK colors will look like.”
Later…
“Why are these colors all wrong?!”
“Uh, they’re CMYK, they print whatever the numbers say.”
“But you did them all wrong. They are supposed to look like these Pantone numbers!”
Facepalm