Apple, the M1 Chip and Adobe CC

That could be the case, but I’ve never seen any statistics on it.

I’m likely an outlier but over the course of several changes in jobs over the years, I’ve never worked anywhere that Macs weren’t the company-wide norm for the creative staff and in all but one of those jobs for the entire company. My last job was at a big university and I don’t think I ever saw a Windows machine the entire time I was there, but then I wasn’t really looking either.

I just Googled it and it seems that Macs still have around a 9.5% market share, so I suspect my experience has been uncommon. How that market share has changed in the design profession, I really don’t know.

I haven’t noticed any change in what my clients prefer. Not recently anyway. A few years back I did notice a lot of broadcast CDs changing to iPads, mostly because they were so on the go all the time, it was just easier to interface everything they needed to direct their minions on an iPad. Whether or not that was a change from PC laptops or Mac laptops, I don’t know.

Obviously not all the fonts. But it’s pharmaceutical and it can 3 years to get something approved. So nothing can change.

Well it’s started

The Adobe forums have started getting complaints about M1 chip and running Adobe Apps.

For InDesign
Important to note only 16.0 is tested on Big Sur.
15.x and below are not tested.

It says right there on the Adobe label. paraphrased “we are not going to be ready when Apple introduces the M1 chip and OS11. Photoshop may be ready, but the rest of the suite will take up to a year…”

Do your due diligence when it comes to the tools of your trade. Anyone who jumps on new tech the moment it’s released deserves every headache they get.