Backyard nuisances

I told you how much I loved this over on the book of faces … and nothing has changed. She’s gorgeous! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

All I have is an expletive or two – in a good way.

[As an aside, she definitely wouldn’t be a backyard nuisance!]

Amazing! Just-B’s expertise never ceases to amaze me!

I’m guessing the maintenance costs would be awfully high, though.

1 Like

Wow :hushed:

(+ I see a “cubistic” “spot” in it)

A cubistic spot?

I don’t know what it is. There is something here that confuses my brain about what’s what in which size. A lot of lines and shapes are meeting there plus the skin colored background. It reminded me somehow of cubism. Probably it’s just me.

Maybe it’s a good thing.

My drawing and painting skills are far inferior here.

I think so :grin:

I had to go look up cubism to make sure I wasn’t missing something :wink:

I didn’t know electric erasers were a thing.

I’m getting one.

I’ve been using an electric eraser for years as a drawing tool. The corded Staedtler eraser I bought way back in college still works, but Staedtler stopped making refills for it.

Recently, I bought an AFMAT eraser. It’s a Chinese brand I had never heard of, so I was a little skeptical. Most of the reviews were good, and it came with plenty of refills in two different tip widths. It’s also cordless, lightweight, rechargeable, and inexpensive. Turns out it works great — much better than I expected.

1 Like

I’ve never tried one. I’m very fond of my kneaded eraser. Do you think the electric works better? I’m curious to try :wink:

I couldn’t get by without a kneaded eraser either, but an electric eraser is a different thing. Seeing is better than me trying to explain the difference.

Here’s another example. Skip to the 3-minute mark to see how this guy uses it. It’s not in English.

3 Likes

Thank you Just-B! I’ve heard of them, but never paid them much attention. They look pretty interesting. :slight_smile:

makes me want to get my charcoals back out! I would always try to get fine highlight details in there and no matter how much i’d try to get my kneaded eraser to a fine point it just never worked haha. Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

Here’s a cloudy weekend project I finished this evening. It’s colored pencil and watercolor on an old piece of matboard.

While I’m at it, I posted this quick pencil sketch on Facebook a couple of weeks ago.

I’m beginning to like this easing into retirement routine. It gives me time to do those things that first got me interested in art and design — with no client interference. :smiley:

6 Likes

Bloody hell. They are fantastic. Not only executed perfectly, the subtlety of facial expression is amazingly good.

1 Like

I just love how you capture the expressions. You give such life to your drawings. They are just beautiful. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Not sure if it’s intentional or not, but the bottom illustration reminds me of Kris Kristopherson.

1 Like

Chapeau!

1 Like

My sister-in-law also mentioned that he looked like Kris Kristofferson. I had a couple of hours to spare one morning and was thumbing through Pinterest when I stumbled across him. I thought it would be fun to draw the hair, wrinkles, and eyes. I think he might be a model since I found several photos of what seemed to be the same guy wearing different outfits.

It’s a non-commercial practice thing that was just for fun, so I wasn’t concerned about drawing something based on someone else’s photo. I wish I had access to my own models, but I don’t. I suppose I could draw our dog or a landscape or something similar, but I’ve always been more interested in drawing people.

2 Likes