Enlarging stock photos for billboards

I will let you all know how it turned out after the Spring trade show early April. That will be the first time I will see the finished setup.

You had to print to Postscript and then Distill to get a proper PDF out of Quark back then.
And you had to save any placed images as a Photoshop .eps in order to get all the scaling info to come over too.
That last part might be what you are remembering.
It’s not like that any more.
:grinning:

I believe you. you’ve always had good info here. We’re talking (holy moly) 25 years ago?! When did I get OLD!!!

You are right in saying that the actual size is a pixel count, but dpi is just a measure of how many dots the printer actually places per inch. So it’s just a simple math equation.

So here:
8’ x 10’ image @ 100dpi

EQUALS 8 x 12 (inches) x 100 BY 10 x 12 (inches) x 100

OR: 9600dpi x 12000dpi for full coverage.

25 years. Yup. That’s about right.
Actually it’s PPI. Pixels per inch in Photoshop.
DPI is the ink dot screen your printer puts down. Most of the machines I use might want 100ppi for images but will print at 600dpi, or better on output. If you do 100dpi on a banner machine there will be actual visible dots and looks absolutely awful under 20ft of viewing distance. Most billboards are done at 300dpi or better. If I can find it, I’ll scan my print sample that shows what the dot pattern looks like at 100. Might be gone though. I consider that unsaleable.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

The first time I saw that trick I was like “no… can’t be.” But it really does work in increments so much better.

In the end I am very happy with the end product.

For anyone still paying any attention, I just used the newest enlargement beta algorithm from Adobe in Photoshop and it worked fantastically in 1 step.

1 Like

One more thing.

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH. No matter how much I learn I always know there is a whole lotta mo-betta out there, and this is a great place for information.