Happy Last Friday in July! 🏖

Cilantro is my only nemesis. I’ll pretty much eat any vegetable, fruit or spice. I like to experiment with new flavors if possible. I will say I do have a few I’m not terribly keen on. Not a fan of a raw tomato … but I do love a fresh out of the garden raw tomato with salt and pepper and a little mayo on white bread. I think it’s just a comfort food from my childhood. I am also not a fan of asparagus. To me, that has a bitter taste that no one can seem to cook out. I’ve had tiny asparagus that are quite mild and I don’t mind them. But if they are normal size they always taste bitter to me. Also, not a fan of blackberries, rhurbarb and turnip. A bit too acrid for me … but I will politely eat them if served lol :smiley:

While we are at it … I DETEST lemon on seafood or in any savory concoction for that matter … it’s like it burns my mouth. But, I do love it in sweet goodies. I adore a good lemon bar or lemon meringue pie. I love the smell of lemons and I love zesting lemons for desserts.

This is a fun conversation :smiley:

1 Like

Well, this is all very interesting. At least some of my picky eating seems to have an actual basis in reality rather than some sort of stubbornness about food. I wish I could have told this to my mom at eight years old when I was told to eat everything on my plate before I could leave the table. :smiley:

By the way, I find raw cucumbers to be bitter too. Bitterness is the taste of alkalinity, which possibly explains why that bitterness disappears in pickles. The acidity of the vinegar neutralizes it. The only way I can eat raw cucumbers is after they’ve been soaked in vinegar.

And speaking of asparagus, I think it’s fairly well-known that some people can smell a strong asparagus odor in their urine after eating the vegetable and some people can’t smell it at all (asparagusic acid that’s been broken down into various sulfur-containing compounds).

1 Like

I would be one of those people that can smell it … lucky me LOLOL :smiley: