BBQ Italian pork is basically a Porchetta done in the smoker.
I like to use a boneless Boston Butt cuz the meat is more tender and juicy than using a boneless shoulder or loin roast, but you have to tie it up more. To do it for real you have to get a pork belly from the local butcher, but I don’t have that kind of coin right now.
Cut the roast with a sharp knife to make a long, wide flat piece of meat. For spices I use sea salt, fresh course ground black pepper, lots of garlic (minced or crushed in a press) fresh rosemary and fresh thyme (I have a bunch of that just harvestable size in the garden right now!) Slather that onto your meat flat rather liberally and then roll the meat into a roast shape. Use butcher’s string to hold it together. If your roast has a piece of skin, even better. That goes on top to get all crispy and bubbly (think pork rinds!) How long it needs to cook depends on how big the roast. I usually put it on a wire rack in a tin pan because it will catch on fire eventually if you don’t contain the drippings. I’ll also fill a pan on a lower rack with some bad hard cider thinned to half with water (I’m a sucker for new hard cider labels and a lot of them aren’t worth drinking, but they are good for cooking!)
Some people add sage and fennel to the herb mix because they associate that with “Italian” pork sausage, but it’s not an authentic flavor and I dislike the taste of both herbs anyway. Use em if you like em.