I will be studying Graphic Design soon

I will say

Don’t get stuck in a rut.
If you’re in a job and it’s not going well, for whatever reason, perhaps the people above you or around you, or simply not enjoying that type of work - then don’t stick at it.

Move around and learn as much as you can.

Give places 2 years of your time - if you don’t know it in 2 years then you will never know it - so move on from the field and find something else you do enjoy and enjoy mastering.

Find something you can move up in - find a company that has potential for you to grow and move up in the ranks.

Explore hierarchy in the company website and ask around.

These days you can find former employees, be it managers, sales reps, designers etc. who worked at those companies and get in touch with them and ask them about the company.

There’s plenty of places that give reviews of workplaces - like Glassdoor.

These things weren’t available for me when I was looking - I might as well stuck names of places on a dartboard and put a blindfold on and throw 6 darts and see which one stuck.

You have options these days - you can find people that used to work in places and talk to them through LinkedIn or other means.

Perhaps in the meantime you could do courses through LinkedIn Learning (free 1 months trial) in different areas of Graphic Design and see which one suits you.

But if I were you now (and not me 25 years ago) - I’d look up jobs in Graphic Design within your state - and find out which one is paying the highest - and study that field.

As I said earlier - UI and UX designer fields with high pay - study something like that.
Study coding - computer code, javascript, SQL, Python etc.

If you can code and design you’ll be able to integrate both.

There’s pretty scripters I know who work with Print Design and Graphic Design for print who make a pretty decent living out of understanding print design, graphic design and being able to code for it.

Coding for it could be just setting up automated processes that are not available within the confines of the program.

I’ve started doing things like this - as the design field is just too crowded and I don’t want to be sitting at my desk for another 25 years creating 500 business cards for 500 people in a company - print them all - then they come back and tell me that there’s an error (that they supplied) in the email address and want them printed again for nothing.

That’s 500 business cards, 500 each - 250,000 business cards that have be destroyed - and reprinted because they made a mistake and supplied the mistake and approved the proof.

Yet they have audacity to ask for free reprint.
(and not what you think, they paid for destruction fee (as per contract), they paid for full reprint (as per contract), and they were not happy. )

Expensive lesson for them.
But I can’t do this for another 25 years.

Time to move on.

1 Like

This is an incredible response and I can’t thank you enough.

While preparing my uni application I went through some really dark days reading about how much this field is going to be impacted by AI. I felt like I had missed the train, thinking that if I entered the field 10 years ago when I graduated from high school, I’d have a much better chance of securing my spot. In the end I decided to try to incorporate these new tools into my workflow as much as possible, and hope for the best.

But I was working on a project recently and I realised how rewarding it is to figure things out through trial and error, rather than having AI solve everything for you on the spot. And I feel that with the first method, the final result is much more authentic. So it occurred to me that maybe, just maybe, once the AI hype dies down, people might actually begin to crave “traditionally” made things. It’s like how so many Disney fans are very nostalgic over 2D, hand-drawn animation now that everything’s 3D. This might be a silly example, but you get the point.

As for the online course, it is all I can afford for now. It is quite a prestigious school though. Initially I wanted to study abroad, but sadly this is not an option at the moment. My dream is to leave my hometown as soon as a graduate, and go to the cultural capitals either for work or a Master’s degree.

Once again, thank for your reply and thoughtful insight!

You’ve made some excellent and really useful points, thank you!

I was actually thinking of doing a UX/UI course during the summer, although it’s become highly competitive too. As for coding, I feel very compelled by it and the opportunities it can provide, but I’m not sure how easily it can be learned by someone like me who has solely been involved with the arts/creative fields one way or another. Have you given it a try?

If I can do it - you can do it.

Many people will tell you that a Master’s Degree isn’t needed in graphic design. They’re right; it’s not required, but the degree will move you to the front of a very long line for higher-paying management-level positions further down the line as you gain experience.

After my BFA, I worked professionally as a designer for around seven years before returning for my MFA. I was very lucky in that my employer paid for it. Since then, the director-level creative positions I’ve held all preferred candidates with advanced degrees, and they paid higher salaries. I recommend working after your undergraduate degree for at least three or four years before heading back to graduate school. The real-world experience makes an important counterbalance to the academic viewpoints learned in school.

I’ve been thinking of stepping back from design lately. I still like design but I just feel the industry is changing (ass it always has) and most people don’t listen. Designers in my area are expected to know photography, websites, social media, marketing, design, video, audio…I mean “thanks” but each of those can be specialized down.

Recently I had a manager tell me, “We cant get a stock account for photos because I’d have to justify the cost” so I said, “alright well can we hire a photographer to take photos for us it would be more effective for our brands in the long run the cost may be a bit more” and they responded with, “but I don’t get why we need too?”

While I was trying to develop a new brand for firefighters, as well as working on a bug cleaning service, and home restoration mailers, postcards, brochures. But they could go out to pricey lunch places every week? That cost is justified?

My advice is to try them all. But most of all, pursue it only if you love art, creativity, and you can’t imagine doing anything else. Don’t get into graphic design simply for the money. You will be disappointed. The money will come, but not right away. It takes more drive and desire to become a great designer, than most other professions. Along with a mind that loves to learn. Learn what?—anything and everything! Because creativity thrives in an environment filled with knowledge of as many things as you can learn. I wish you the best of success! Go get’em Artist!!!

Hi @inthegreen I just joined this forum but saw your post and thought I’d give my experience as I didn’t go to university until I was around 28 and studied online whilst working full time.

Great to hear that you have the drive and passion for design, I was the same during my studies, but as I was working full time I didn’t look to get any relevant experience with companies. Instead I spent my time developing concepts, my own designs, experimenting with design and building my portfolio.

I noticed that employers will value your portfolio a lot more than if you did a summer working in a print shop etc. You may not have any clients to do actual design work for, but that doesn’t stop you from honing your skills and creating some wonderful stuff to add to your portfolio.

Eventually, if you share your portfolio or personal work you have created you may have people ask you to do paid design work alongside your studies, which you can then add to your resume.

Hi,

All kinds of companies require graphic designers, either for the promotional purposes of their brand or to provide graphic design support to their clients. If you have expertise in print related graphics, then prefer printing press-related companies.

Good luck.