Mid Week 5 Questions -- Concert Edition

My wife and I were driving downtown last night at 11:00 in the rain to pick up our daughter and her friend from a Panic at the Disco concert. This is probably her third or fourth time seeing Panic. That got me thinking about concerts.

1. Which musical act have you seen the most?

2. What is the best concert you’ve been to? (Okay to list more than one if you can’t narrow it down.)

3. What’s the farthest distance you’ve traveled for a concert?

4. Who would you like to see in concert that you have not seen?

5. Do you have a favorite concert venue?

1 Like

U2, which is sort of funny because I’m not necessarily a huge U2 fan these days.

2. What is the best concert you’ve been to? (Okay to list more than one if you can’t narrow it down.)

The Brian Setzer Orchestra Christmas concert. Awesome music, great energy, great time, and I’m a big fan of anything Setzer does.

300 miles to see the Brian Setzer Christmas concert.

Elvis Costello, Van Morrison, Reverend Horton Heat.

The Ryman in Nashville is a great venue and historically significant, and Sheldon Concert Hall in St. Louis.

1 Like

Sweet, 5 questions is back!

Hm, I’m trying to think if I’ve seen anyone more than once. Odd. If I have it’s not coming to mind.

That’s tough as well. I definitely can’t narrow it down, these were all great in their own way.
• Cake – outdoor concert at Moose’s Tooth Pub in Anchorage. Front Row. Actually got to hang out with their guitarist Xan for about an hour after the show at a local bar. He hung out at our table for about an hour.
• Page/Plant – Here in Dallas.I’m a huge Led Zeppelin fan, but too young to ever have had the chance to see them, so when Page/Plant came through I had to go. It was awesome being able to hear "Led Zeppelin"songs live in concert.
• Tori Amos – back in I think 1992 I saw Tori at an amazing old balcony-style theater before she was mroe well known. It was an intimate and amazing show.
ª Ozzy – No More Tours tour. Not peak Ozzy perhaps, but man that was one heck of a show, I love me soem Sabbath and simialr to Led Zeppelin this woudl be the closest opportunity to hear Sabbath songs live, which he played. He’s a good showman too, definitely good at gettign the crowd energized.

See above, Anchorage to see Cake.

See above, old school Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. And now it’s too late but I wish I had seen Tom Petty.

Hmmm, not really. In general I’m not a fan of the huge stadium shows. In my college years and teens we had some smaller local venues where I got to see a lot of great shows. Such as the Bomb Factory here in Dallas that can hold about 1,000 - 4,000 people. Got to see quite a few 90s era bands in smaller venues like that which was awesome. I prefer that to the bigger venues.

2 Likes

These are easy for me to answer: I don’t go to concerts. I used to in my teens and 20s, but haven’t been since.

I like music, but not at 120 dB and not when a crowd is involved. For me, it’s better to stay at home and listen to what I want on our Sonos system.

For Christmas, my wife’s niece gave us a pair of tickets to a concert. On the day of the concert, my wife and I looked at each other and said, “Are we going?” We both shook our heads, stayed at home and listened to their album instead.

2 Likes

Just now realizing it was almost 20 years ago that my wife, my son, and I became somewhat taken with Dream Theater, thanks to their Scenes From A Memory album. We saw them 4 times in a 5-year span. It’s the only act I’ve seen more than once.

It would be hard to top Queen on The Game tour in 1980. The quality of sound and performance were defineitely the best I’ve ever experienced. But Frank Zappa a year earlier, Judas Priest a year before that, and Stanley Jordan/Jean-Luc Ponty in '87 were all very memorable, and certainly worthy of mention.

Not far. I think it would be a near-tie between Philadelphia, Asbury Park, NJ, and NYC, each drive-able from home in under 2 hours.

Well, I nearly got to see Led Zeppelin, as told in this post, so that’s a definite one, but it would be easy to add Pink Floyd, Edgar Winter Group, Fuel, Steven Wilson, Symphony X, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Buckethead, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, (some permutation of) Steely Dan, and quite a few others to the all-time wish list.

Not really, but I do generally prefer theater-style settings to arena or stadium events. The Theater at Madison Square Garden (now The Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden) is a good one.

2 Likes

Rush (4x)

Heart (in the late 1980s)
George Thorogood close 2nd

3 hours

Fleetwood Mac (with Lindsey and Christine. Stevie optional)

Outdoor and small crowd.

2 Likes

I’ll make this easy. I’ve only seen two concerts my entire life.

Stray Cats with Dave Edmunds opening in 1983

Eurythmics with Howard Jones in 1984

Both at SPAC

From those two experiences I learned I have some sort of ear issue. I am not hard of hearing … I have super sensitive hearing. Crowds and loud noise is disorienting for me. I suffered tremendously after those two concerts. I even started talking funny according to my friends. They thought someone slipped me something.

Anyhoo. that was well over 30 years ago and I no longer went to any concerts. I’ve learned to deal with it for the most part, but I still don’t do well in large crowds for long periods of time. Someone can be talking directly to me and I won’t realize it because of the sound fog I’m in. I’ve gone so far as covering my ears at times to get a little focus.

But, I can answer one question :smiley:

Everyone lol :smiley:

3 Likes
  1. Tie between Tool and Nine Inch Nails - have seen them both 9 times

2. Paul McCartny at bonnaroo - world class stage show and performance, I know his sets are pretty routine, but it’s still impressive

3. I went through a phase in my life where any of my off-time was spent going to music festivals. By plane, about 2000 miles. By drive, 1000.

4. Portishead has been on my list for a very long time.

5. Small dives in big cities are my favorite venues. Though I have never been to red rocks.

2 Likes

I’d like to catch a concert at Red Rocks at some point.

2 Likes

Red Rocks is one of the dozen or so places I have seen a concert, but it was a long time ago. At the time, the city had banned rock concerts at the amphitheater. I was in Denver visiting a friend who had just moved there, so we went to see, appropriately enough, John Denver, I remember being more impressed by the venue itself than the concert, which was, honestly, not all that bad either.

1 Like

@silence04 Ooh, agreed. Portishead would be great to see in concert.

2 Likes

1.I was at the concert at once. As i remember at 19th of June
2.So that concert was the best :slight_smile:
3.450 km
4.I want to visit Asap Mob concert. e is my favourite rapper!
5.My father told me, that live aid area was the best

By the way, i think to buy cheap phish tickets. I consider it will be amazing!

link removed