Need help finding clients

The thing is I’m sixteen and about to start college, so there is no enjoying school for me.

College was much more enjoyable than high school for me. Plan for the future, but live in the moment. You’re not yet ready to start a career with paying clients. If you were ready, college wouldn’t be needed, so focus on the here and now — learn what you can and enjoy yourself.

Yes I understand that, and is why I’m doing most work for free right now so that way I can go back to those people I did work for later on down the road, if they need or want work done by me again.

You’re thinking that businesses that use inexperienced 16-year-old kids to get free work will be willing to pay the going rate for your work as a trained and experienced college graduate?

I don’t know you, and I don’t know your situation, but things generally don’t work that way.

What almost always holds true is that from 16 into adulthood, a person’s life, attitudes and priorities change enormously. College and just the process of growing up will turn you into a different person than you are today with a very different outlook on life. You’ll learn new things and meet new people. Your head will be filled with new ideas, and you’ll find yourself in an entirely different place mentally and, perhaps, physically four or five years from now.

In my first response to you, I said your work was pretty good. What I didn’t do is qualify that statement by saying “for a 16-year-old,” but that is the case. Your work is good enough to get into college, and based on your enthusiasm and talent, you should do well. However, neither you nor your work are ready to take on clients yet. Look instead for part-time work to complement your education — places where you can learn from others more experienced than yourself.

Let me put it this way, would you let a 16-year-old kid who has never been to dental school remove one of your wisdom teeth? Do you think a business is any less picky on who they hire for their branding or promotions on which they’re relying to ensure their business’s success?

By all means, pick up some odd jobs here and there, and learn from them. Don’t, however, fool yourself into believing that you’re ready to begin your professional career yet because you’re not — you’re just starting on the path that will lead you to that point. And like I said, when you arrive, the world and the landscape around you will look very different than it does for you today.

lilb1602, this is some serious wisdom here, I hope you will pay attention.

And maybe give the rest of us some credit for having learned some lessons along the journey from 16 to adult graphic designers.

There’s a saying that applies here. “Old guys know shit.”

Yes I understand that, and that’s what I plan on doing. Sorry if I came off like I was being rude. Thanks for giving me the advice and I appreciate the help.