New to graphic design! (Need Help)

While learning the basics of design you can actually practice what you’ve learned with basic knowledge of a program.

I personally find that you learn more quickly and it sticks in your brain when you work on something and apply what you’ve learned, rather than just reading about it for 1-2 years.

1 Like

I agree, I don’t even have a computer for it yet , I’ve just been researching & practicing my drawing , and I’ve been learning about theory a little , do you have any recommendations for learning theory ?

In those schools, you don’t just read about theory. Every theory class has a lab session attached to it. A 1 hour class and a 3 hour lab or a 2 and 2. You just don’t use a computer for the things you “create”.

For instance, color theory class required using hand drawn or construction techniques to demonstrate your understanding of the lesson du jour, as dumb as that might sound today in the iWhatever world. For instance, one of our classes, each group was given a different soda can, a cheap clip on light, a warm lamp and a cool lamp. Then you had to draw by hand, in gouache over pencil sketch, using warm and cool color spectra, to illustrate what the effects were on the colors of the can. Not only did you learn color, you learned how to see. And you learned to do it relatively quickly as a sketched “mock up.”

2D class was much the same. For one lab you were provided with a magazine and told to clip apart images into a new arrangement that illustrated the demographic focus of the magazine. As much as that sounds like a kindergarten amusement, the purpose was to get you to re-visualize the images in a different format, sometimes a different shape, sometimes a different meaning altogether.

3D class taught you how design relates to space. Not just one or two sides of a sheet of paper. The constructs you created were in real space and represented items like POP displays or exhibit structures. You learned how to make your own box templates by actually making the box, unfolding it, flattening it, adding glue tabs and then adding hand sketched graphics that would align properly when refolded, without having to rely on pre-existing box designs or ready-made templates. Again, there’s that quick “mock up” thing.

In each of the above classes, and most others, after every lesson, there was a critique where you had to present your solution to the project, and you had to defend your design decisions on why you did something the way you did.

Graphic design isn’t all about the computer. Beyond the internet, graphic design has to interact with the real world. Designers themselves have to interact with their business clients. All your computer skills mean squat if it doesn’t translate off the screen. Today’s student isn’t learning that in a lot of schools.

1 Like

Thanks a lot , that’s really helpful!

College is there to teach you how to be good. They’ll start you at the beginning with color theory, art history, charcoal sketching, and composition. The goal of the first few years wasn’t about “how to design,” it was about how to see things. After that, then they’ll teach you how to use software, but it will still be pretty rudimentary. Use illustrator to draw a wine bottle. Use photoshop to make a collage.

Unfortunately, design is one of those skills that you can’t learn on your own. For example, how do you know the logo you did was decent? It might be appealing to you, but until it was critiqued by a group of other designers, you’ll never know if you missed any opportunities or if you execution could be tightened up a bit. So while you might learn how to use a few features of photoshop, getting that training is going really benefit you. And the sooner you do it, the better. Why waste time fumbling on your own when there are people out there to encourage and train you?

Good luck on your journey! And don’t forget that this forum has a critique section. Regardless of the path you choose, there are plenty of people here willing to share advice and help you along.

3 Likes

I agree because as I learn more about graphic design I realize that the logo I made wasn’t as good as I thought , and I do plan to go to school for it , do you think I would need to go to a actual college or would online courses be fine ? Thanks for the feedback!

That’s completely up to you. Online courses are cheaper, but require much more motivation.

Some schools offer both online and in-person classes

1 Like

Excellent advice, CRHain88.

1 Like

Hi there!

I’ve learned a lot by watching tutorials on YouTube. Skillshare and Lynda are also great (paid) resources. Start by learning the basics of programs like Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. Follownig designers on Instagram will give you ideas of some great designs.

1 Like