Please Suggest Correct System for heavy graphics

Hi Everyone,

Can any experienced designer suggest system sutable for Adobe CC, After effects and 3D Max - basically suitable for heavy graphics and rendering?

Be it windows or Mac, I am looking for robust system - just want system to be not hanged while using 2-3 heavy softwares simultaneously.

Designers who have worked both on Windws and Mac - what is your experience?

In case if you or someone you know is using such system please let me know any pros and cons.

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks !!!

What’s your budget and what websites do you generally look at when buying?

To run heavy graphics and rendering applications like Adobe CC, After Effects, and 3D Max, you will need a powerful computer with a high-performance processor, plenty of RAM, and a dedicated graphics card. Here are some general recommendations for a robust system:

Processor: Intel Core i9 or AMD Ryzen 9 processors are some of the best processors for heavy graphics work. You can choose from the latest Gen Intel Core i9 processors or the latest AMD Ryzen 9 processors.

RAM: At least 32GB of RAM is recommended for heavy graphics work, but you could also opt for 64GB or 128GB of RAM for even better performance.

Graphics card: A dedicated graphics card with a high amount of VRAM is essential for heavy graphics work. NVIDIA GeForce RTX or AMD Radeon Pro graphics cards are good options.

Storage: It’s best to have a combination of fast SSD and large HDD storage. You can use the SSD for your operating system and frequently used applications, while the HDD can be used to store your project files and media.

Here are some pre-built desktops that could work for you:

• ASUS ROG Strix G35CZ: This desktop comes with an Intel Core i9 processor, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 graphics card, 32GB of RAM, and 1TB SSD storage.
  • Dell Alienware Aurora R11: This desktop comes with an Intel Core i9 processor, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 graphics card, 32GB of RAM, and 1TB SSD storage.
  • HP Omen Obelisk: This desktop comes with an Intel Core i9 processor, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 graphics card, 32GB of RAM, and 1TB SSD storage.

Keep in mind that you can also custom build a desktop to meet your specific needs, or you can opt for a high-end laptop like the MacBook Pro or the Dell XPS 15 with similar specifications.

1 Like

Well, if you’re talking about 3D rendering and stuff, you should probably go for a Mac. Also use a Mac for After Effects. Don’t get the 13" models because they suck and are too small. Get the 15" or 17" models. If you’re using 3D software, get a Windows PC. Windows 7 is a far superior operating system for 3D software. I use both Mac and Windows and run Windows on my Mac through Parallels so I can use 3D modeling software.

Thanks @Jamesmandy for your message.
I will be using 3D Max, After effects, Adobe CC and video editing software - Can I go for only one operating system and if yes then which one you recommend

I’m not quite normally so abrupt, but you’re spouting nonsense in this and the other post where you recommended someone buy a 2013 MacBook Air.

3D rendering, graphic design, and motion graphics are equally doable on a Mac, Windows, or Linux machine if it’s configured to handle the demands of the software. Rather than the OS, it’s the 3D software that matters. Not all software is available for all platforms, however, so if what you need is only available for one or the other, that platform is the best for the job.

If you refer to Autodesk 3ds Max it will not run on a Mac natively and since Apple transitioned away from Intel to Apple Silicon not at all or super slow until Autodesk will support Windows for ARM, which I haven’t heard anything about. System requirements for Autodesk 3ds Max 2023 | 3ds Max 2023 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

2 Likes

Great advice, @Joe, considering that the OP specifically mentioned 3ds Max. Somehow I missed that relevant piece of information.

Hi Eugene,

Your information is very helpful.
Just one question whether laptops are as robust and reliable as desktops? specifically for serious and heavy design work.

Thanks !!!

Thanks B, Okay so I understand as per your and Joe’s response that OS choice is mainly dependent on software. This is helpful information.

Thanks Joe, your information is very helpful.
Understood that choice is mainly depends on the software as well. In above message Eugene has also mentioned some systems with configuration information so Windows system as per above configurations can be purchased.

My opinion is yes they are robust. I would recommend a monitor so you can have a dual screen setup.

Desktops probably would be better but not portable.

Everything has caveats.

1 Like

Thanks Eugene.

The disadvantages to laptops are the higher prices for getting equivalent specs to a desktop machine and the small display. As Smurf2 pointed out, adding a desktop display solves the small screen real estate problem when sitting at your desk at home.

If the advantages of portability outweigh the extra cost, go the laptop route.

Thanks B

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.