Smooth lines but keep clarity

Yes but as I previously mentioned, my printers and others I have seen only print from PNG and JPG

This is only my opinion, but I’d switch printers if they only want flattened images. I use one for the company I work for and another for my personal side business and both take vector and PDF.

I kinda agree with Zoogee. I don’t think much of printers that only accept .png or jpg. I don’t use them.

Once you have the vector, sure you can convert it, if that’s what you really want to do. As long as you understand how to do that so that it doesn’t look like crap on output. You can make a vector file any resolution you want. Too High and your printer hates you. Too low and it looks like crap. Garbage in, garbage out.

It’s purely a financial move sticking with my current printer, I do a lot of 60 40 printing, now my printer (PNG JPG only) does it for £6, the next cheapest in this country is £21, would you pay the 250% increase?

They’re detrimental to the profession.

For example, when I graduated from my university in the early 1980s, the going rate for a freelance logo for an average start-up business was around $600 in my area. Today, with inflation adding about 150% to the price of everything, that logo design should sell for around $1,500. Instead of keeping up with inflation, though, the going price for an average start-up client logo has dropped to around $150 — in large part due to crowdsourcing sites.

Consequently, I no longer do logos unless they’re for larger organizations that need a logo as part of a bigger job and are willing to pay for the time and expertise, time, research, and effort that goes into doing it the right way.

Unfortunately, naive clients think they’re getting good work for crowdsourcing rates when in reality, they’re typically getting crap from some kid using his mother’s computer to earn pocket change or a sweatshop in a developing country cranking out versions of the same thing over and over again.

The censored sites on this forum are the contest sites, where so-called designers submit their work in the hopes that their work will be chosen. In my and most professionals’ opinions, designers should be paid for the time it takes to create work, even when clients decide not to use them. Nobody walks into a restaurant and orders a meal with the assumption they won’t need to pay for it if the food doesn’t strike their fancy.

If all potential clients realized they were getting what they paid for when using these bottom-feeder sites, I’d have few problems with it. I don’t really want to work with clients who don’t want the best work possible anyway.

However, most naive clients, as I mentioned, assume that these contest crowdsourcing sites are staffed with pros who do great work at the going rate because that’s how these bottom-feeder sites bill themselves. I can’t count the number of times I’ve been approached by potential clients who want several thousand dollars worth of work and who expect to pay only a couple of hundred dollars for it because he saw that price repeatedly mentioned on a crowdsourcing site.

If you really want to use a crowdsourcing site, at least use one that doesn’t hold contests and requires a client-designer contract before the work begins, such as UpWork.

A commercial printer without a Postscript RIP? Agggghhh! What’s the world coming to? I would avoid that printer like the plague.

If you decide to use that printer, though, and if your flattened, rasterized JPG or PNG artwork is only 300ppi (and more than likely RGB instead of CMYK), you’ll get garbage. A typical Postscript RIP outputs vector imagery at ten times that resolution. In other words, any small type will be printed a bit jagged and be composed of multiple inks stacked on top of each other, which will, even if they’re a tiny bit out of register, create little rainbow outlines around your type.

When that’s what it takes to get reasonable quality, yes, I would pay that much.

Your first post here said you were concerned about the “bumpy and spiky” edges on your curved lines, which made most people here assume you wanted higher quality. Quality comes with a cost. As you said earlier, “You also get what you pay for”.

3 Likes

PrintDriver’s golden rule:

Quality, speed, cost. Pick two.

2 Likes