To embed or not to embed?

:smiley:

This stuff can get a little too complicated to easily discuss in a back-and-forth series of written messages.

1 Like

Ok, Iā€™ll go through each photo image and compress based on your suggestion.
Iā€™m guessing this 1 gigabyte background image is also overkill? Everything else is vector in the final file.

the background is just the Pantone to CMYK converted blue background with this swirly effect (screen opacity effect). I had to rasterize the two on top of each other as leaving as vector and converting to CMYK completely distorted the screen effect. I spent a stupid number of hours trying to come up with a better solution and wasted way too much time here so this is what Iā€™m going with. But Iā€™m guessing no need whatsoever for something like this to be super high resolution either?

If the printer wants the file as a PDF, just save the illustrator file as a PDF (with the proper job options if available, if not, press ready works.) If this printer is only taking PDFs (and I suspect jpgs as well) for a banner of this size, this is a whole lot of angst over a simple gang print.
Donā€™t compress anything, donā€™t convert to tiff.

If the PDF is too big to send via email, see if they have an uplink. If not, send via dropbox, googledrive, Hightail or Pony Express (that last is a joke, in case there really is an online service called Pony Express)

You all are way overthinking this.

1 Like

:face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Well, itā€™s kinda funny, just a couple weeks ago I had to use an outsource I wouldnā€™t normally use given the choice. Absolutely no upload specs or uplink on their site. So I called. Stoner on the other end of the line, ā€œJust email a jpg.ā€ Oh boy, here we go. Turns out they were a broker (OMG!) and their printer really wanted a PDF. Thereā€™s a whole lot more to this story, but it worked out fine for what it was, an Indesign PDF at press quality sent to a gang printer. LOL!

That depends.

Iā€™ve spent most of my career supervising creative teams. Iā€™ve found there are some people who simply want step-by-step directions to follow. There are others who want to understand the reasons behind those steps so that when the situation changes, theyā€™re prepared to confidently figure it out for themselves.

Step-by-step directions are efficient and easy ā€” especially when the immediate priority is getting something done before moving on to the next priority.

However, getting to the bottom of misconceptions while clarifying and explaining what lies behind the problems and their solutions takes more time and effort, but it pays off in the long run.

1 Like

I overthink everything! It is like my special skill. :joy::weary:
Your reply is a good response to alleviate some anxiety when I do that, however.

But Just-B is right - Iā€™m always trying to understand how things work at the most basic level so that I can take that information and apply it the next round. My need to understand all of the moving pieces is probably why I start overthinking projects. But thatā€™s also because I just donā€™t know what Iā€™m doing right now. Once I get to a point of feeling comfortable and having enough knowledge, the overthinking process goes away and itā€™s smooth sailing from that point forward.

1 Like

This is me. I was pulled out of our prepress department as a ā€œproduction designerā€ and promoted intoā€¦ not really IT, but IT-adjacent/production plant-adjacent. All because I always looked for the reasons why, and why we couldnā€™t do things better or with more efficiency within our prepress department.

As a result, this is what I am paid for now. Whether thatā€™s helping our prepress department or helping our production plant, or something in between. In my case, it not only pays off in the long run, it actually pays more into my pocket.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.