Tutorial for E-mail Graphics?

This is a weird one. I want to launch some advertising campaigns and am thinking of doing my first ever e-mail advertising campaign.

I then realized that I’ever never ever pasted an image inside an e-mail. I’ve sent lots of attachments, but nothing in the body of the e-mail.

So I wondered if someone could recommend a good tutorial on creating and implementing graphics in e-mail. For starters, I’d like to know what dimensions I should focus on. In other words, should an image inserted in an e-mail be 1,000 pixels wide or 500 pixels wide?

Also, do people create customized e-mails in special software programs, then somehow import them into their e-mail client, or can you create these types of e-mails in G-Mail or Canary Mail?

I’m thinking of creating an e-mail using two or three fonts that includes a couple images and a short (30-second video).

I don’t even know what the term for this sort of thing is - customized e-mail? E-mail design?

I call it spam.
Our spam filters on our email server hold back images on emails and it’s a manual operation to click to look at them. A lot of people are set up this way in the business world. Don’t put anything important in an image.

1 Like

LOL - That may be the best response right there. I guess it would be awfully easy to just push the delete button.

The subscription things are fine as long as there is an unsubscribe when they become too annoying.
I had a one-time purchase sales rep dropping spam 3 times a week and I finally hit reply and said, “Dude, you need an unsubscribe button.” Man, did he get all bent out of shape, that his emails were a personal reach-out, not marketing subscription-spam (apparently couldn’t tell the difference) but he would immediately remove me from his contact list.
Holy crap! Good thing I have other sources for that stuff, and yay for customer service.

Are the ad campaigns for you or for a client?

I’d look into a service like Constant Contact or Mailchimp. They have many advantages over the DIY route. One of the advantages is responsive templates that you can customize.

It’s usually referred to as HTML email. If you Google that term, you’ll find lots of information. It’s called this because these emails are built around simple, basic HTML with a little inline CSS thrown in.

I’ve never designed spam (nor will I), but I’ve designed plenty of templates for opt-in email lists. You can code this stuff by hand, then send it out as HTML via Outlook or whatever, but as Steve_O mentioned the big companies built around sending out these emails have simplified the entire process and also excel at bulk delivery options that counter spam filtering algorithms. Every platform is different, however. Some require that you choose one of their templates and the options associated with it. Others allow significant customization. Still others accept copy and paste designs from things like MS Word.

In general, there is no standardized way that any of these things work since HTML was never intended for email and every email client handles HTML just a little differently from the next. It’s not nearly as neat and tidy as using HTML to design websites.

To somewhat echo what @Just-B said. Because email clients and support vary greatly across the board, you may be better going with a service like Constant Contact or Mailchimp as @Steve_O already said, because those services have been built around optimizing for the multitude of email clients.

Yup. It’s safest to stick to HTML3 and using CSS or anything higher than HTML3 only in ways that will degrade gracefully by those email clients that don’t support that code. In other words, built mainly with things like tables, font tags and lots of redundant code.

But as already mentioned, it’s easier, more efficient and ultimately better just to use an email service. Otherwise, one risks emails being blocked by spam filters, not displaying correctly or even having one’s IP address blacklisted as a spam source.

©2020 Graphic Design Forum | Contact | Legal | Twitter | Facebook