We need to talk about AI

This used to mean that you were giving permission for them to host and transmit your images. It has a whole new meaning now, doesn’t it. One that I’ve suspected ever since the beginning of online stock licenses. :slight_smile:

So Firefly now has their “generative fill” in Beta where you can upload an image and “mask out” parts to edit/update/AI fill. Just as a quick test I took the image on the top from Pexels and quickly masked out the middle and asked Firefly to fill with dense forest. Not perfect, but interesting.

1 Like

Oooh, I hadn’t noticed that yet. I’ll need to play around with it.

The image above is literally the second attempt of mine. The first one I used one of their default images. I will need to test it out more as well.

Just took a photo I took a while ago and removed the sky and just
did it to see what happened

generative fill without Photoshop

video from Twitter link

2 Likes

Adobe Firefly also can do: “Content-aware fit," “Find similar fonts,” “Subject-aware text wrap,” and Auto Style (available as a technology preview). I’ve recently come across these functions. You can read more about them in this article: Five ways to use ai with indesign. There are more ways to utilize AI with InDesign.

I’d like to highly recommend the website “topaigenerators” to everyone. It’s a fantastic platform with a wide range of AI tools that can be incredibly useful for various tasks. Whether you’re into AI development, content generation, or any other AI-related field, this website has you covered. Don’t miss out on exploring the possibilities it offers!

vroom vroom

2 Likes

Sorry that is just way too close to these:

I followed the Etsy link, then got sidetracked into looking at the other dozens of AI-generated images for sale there.

Despite the kitschiness of most images, it’s amazing that computer algorithms create them and that they often exceed the abilities of the most talented illustrators.

However, despite the technical strength, there’s something empty about them that leaves me feeling flat, detached, and bored with AI-generated images.

I suspect someone could build a golfing machine that could calculate distances, wind speed, and direction, and the exact force necessary to hit a golf ball in a way that could have easily outperformed Tiger Woods in his prime. IBM’s Deep Blue computer beat Garry Kasparov at chess in 1997. There are plenty of other examples of computers outperforming humans at various tasks,

I suppose I’m saying that it’s interesting that AI can convincingly create illustrations, write poetry, and compose music, but without the human element involved, it’s awfully lifeless stuff.

Exactly. There’s no heart, no fire, no passion, no love.

It’s like a drum machine; mathematically perfect but musically speaking, utterly flawed. Or, have the same recipe prepared by someone who loves cooking, and someone who’s competent, but indifferent. It’s easy to taste the difference.

2 Likes

The topic of law and artificial intelligence will continue to be interesting for a while.

via https://x.com/kemar74/status/1692456947948134783?s=61

via https://x.com/victongai/status/1691124281718267904?s=61

via https://x.com/loishh/status/1692086151039832231?s=61

all via We need to talk about artificial intelligence. - Page 3 - Feedback for the Affinity V2 Suite of Products - Affinity | Forum

I think it’s in the details. Most AI generated images that I’ve seen have something just slightly off about them, somewhere. Most already know that hands/feet are an issue for most of the image generators, but other details also tend to be odd, at best.

Some of the cat-on-motorcycle-in-the-rain images I generated had some really weird looking, makes-no-sense engines that had fur/hair/mycelium in/on/around them, and none of the wheels were properly in perspective, or even round.

I attempted some ‘pirate cats with sword’ and the number of extra limbs, or places where the sword was ‘held’ by the character were mind bogglingly senseless.

It’s been kind of fun to see what kind of incredibly dumb things I can make it mashup into something half-decent, but I’d never try to market myself or anything/anybody else using AI generated artwork with these kinds of issues.

You should have seen me trying to generate a Centaur for one of the little daily challenges. It wasn’t pretty … and it wasn’t only me. No one had much luck. There were a few that came close but mine were laughable. No matter what I tried, even trying the exact same prompts that others were getting fairly good results on and by that I mean at least you could tell it was supposed to be a Centaur. The whole thing was a riot and again shows me it’s going to be some time before AI can keep churning out consistent images over and over.

If you need a laugh … all of these are with the exact same prompt: 50% Man and 50% Horse, Centaur Greek mythology, fantasy art, hyperrealistic, Forest background, mythological creature, Sagittarius, Ixionidae, humanoid centaur, hybrid warrior, cinematic, dramatic lighting, surreal fantasy

A Roman Soldier sitting on the neck of a horse :grin:

A growling horse with a claw in it’s belly and only 3 legs being ridden side saddle by a horned Conan but with a ghost hand holding his foot. :rofl:

A female riding a 5 legged horse

A male riding a 5 legged horse

I gave up after that and didn’t bother to enter. I wasn’t going to use up all my credits on something that just doesn’t work. This is only part of them that had the same prompts. I tried to change a few things and it only got more ridiculous. I’ll stick to my flowers and cats lol :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Along with the artists’ names being co-opted by Adobe, I was just reading that book authors are finding AI books being published using their name and are having a heck of a time getting Amazon, et al to pull them down.

None of them are centaurs, but at first glance, they all looked great until I started counting the legs, shriveled appendages, mystery hands, and the sword protruding from the back of the first guy’s head.

When I was a kid, we had a lamb born with three back legs. It was too clumsy to keep up with the other sheep, so we hand-raised it and kept it in a corral as a pet.

1 Like

I have a client — a community college in California — that’s hired me to create the branding and promotional materials for a “Makers Faire.” They described it as an educational version of a scaled-down, tame, family-friendly, campus version of the Burning Man Festival where “makers” will show off their gadgets, crafts, and various interactive contraptions they built.

I’ve pitched a couple of proof-of-concept ideas to them that use AI-generated images of various tools, machines, and gadgets done in a steampunk style. I haven’t heard back yet, which leaves me feeling that they’re debating the idea. We’ll see.

Or they may be considering, if a designer can use AI, maybe we can too, and don’t need him. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It took a few days, but I finally heard back from them. After some initial nervousness from their administrators, they’re fully on board with the AI approach. This will be a fun project — billboards, signs, posters, brochures, flyers, print ads, maps, social media, etc. :grinning:

2 Likes