What is the best way to learn Graphic Design?

Glad you find it entertaining.
Makes me want to :face_vomiting:

1 Like

When you’re retired, simple wit or profound world view are no longer enough to entice. Human folly and absurdity, on the other hand, entertain.

1 Like

Two more years, man. Two more years.

Two years plus pandemic, like you haven’t tolerated that before?

Still, I’m happy for you, however overrated the idea of retirement may be.

Ah but The Pandemic was sitting at home in bed-head and bunny slippers while the rest of the world went hostile. Here I have to deal with
otHeR pEoPLe

2 Likes

Hi esolz,

I found your answer very helpful and concise. You have helped me with some great tips.
I have started to learn Photoshop, watching YouTube videos. I am also reading some Graphic Design related blogs as well as registered with Free Udemy Graphic Design courses.

You are right. Colors and fonts play a basic role in Graphic Designing.

This is a great, that Graphic Designing field has a bright future and there are more and more jobs for this field.

One more thing, i want to share with you. Last week, i got a client from Zombo.com. Client asked me to make his website more user friendly with a new design and layout. This is the website of my client xxxxxxxx esolz, can you help me with some best suggestion for my client for his website new layout and design requirement.

So, you have a client who (I’m assuming) is paying you and yet you are not trained in design and you are asking us for suggestions?

Sorry to be blunt, but is the client aware that you do not have any formal training?

I don’t think you’ll find people on GDF to provide suggestions since they are not getting paid to do so. If you have ideas and mockups, or visuals, we may provide feedback, however a key, fundamental role as a designer is to be able to come up with solutions to a client’s business issues in order to reach their target audience.

IMO, you should not be marketing yourself as a designer if you are learning through youtube, blogs and using PhotoShop. There is much more to design than that.

Um
you saw how everyone commented that post is exactly what you shouldn’t be doing, correct?

You went with the easiest, though most incorrect answer.
Good luck with that. Especially considering you will be competing with university trained designers in an ever growing overabundance of competition for the smallest of jobs. The field is not growing, other than the simple fact there are too many college graduates out there now for the very limited number of jobs available.

It’s really a shame designers don’t have to buy malpractice insurance.

But then, clients seeking ‘designers’ on the platform you mentioned, get what they pay for. Perhaps that’s a match made in heaven.

1 Like

Made in hell?

As an absolute beginner you shouldn’t work for clients because you’re gonna do more harm than good.

Designing a good website is tricky and has surprisingly little to do with graphic design.

If you want to know how to design a website that does its inteded job, you should study user experience (UX) and user interface (UI) design.

Photoshop is just one design tool, for manipulating photos and other bitmap/raster images.

However, there many other design tools:

Bitmap/raster graphics: GIMP, Affinity Photo, Corel Photo Paint, Paint Shop Pro.

Vector graphics: Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape, Affinity Designer, Corel Draw.

Desktop Publishing (DTP): Adobe InDesign, Affinity Publisher, Scribus.

There are also dedicated software for drawing pictures using tablets.

You should learn how to use the right software for the kinds of work you do.

1 Like

Depends on what drives yer mirth. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I am not convinced by the second part of that statement, I’m afraid. I think it (and you are not alone in doing this – all too often this seems to be the case) appears be giving greater import to mechanics over purpose. I can see why you would say that, but to my mind, imparting information, visually, from one human to another / others is exactly to do with graphic design, irrespective of the vehicle used to carry it.

UX and UI have always been a part of design. They are nothing new and have been employed ever since graphic design (and, arguably, humans – right back to the cave paintings at Lascaux) has existed. It is effectively, latter-day nomenclature (coined for a specific medium) and not hugely dissimilar to the more traditional terms, ergonomics and aesthetics.

I think it is all too easy to get fluffed up in the mechanics and terminology of the industry du jour and forget that it is still a variation on a theme and still requires the same principles (of course, with its own specific considerations), as required whenever information needs disseminating, for whatever reason and via whatever medium.

Sometimes this appears to be forgotten and falls foul of ‘design by template’ in the face of an increasingly-complex delivery medium. Each message is still unique and still requires the designer’s ability to direct it effectively to its intended audience.

Can you tell I am having another 3am bout of insomnia! I spent most of yesterday rebuilding shelving in our local volunteer-run library. Everything hurts!

Rant over, going to try and sleep now! Goodnight.

3 Likes