What new features are you looking for in a product like Adobe InDesign CC which would really be helpful and can prove to be a game changer in the next coming year in publishing industry

HB, did that set the strokes to the outside of the letter?
I’ll have to look harder if it does.

Just B, you’d be surprised how often such an effect is wanted for people who decorate their cars and 4-wheelers and boats, oh my.

When I have to do it, I use Signlab directly rather than trying to do the stacking in Illustrator.
So many things signwares do better than Illy.

The Adobe philosphy is to have the different apps to have their own specific qualities.

Photoshop: pixel manipuùation

Illustrator: vector manipulation. Like adding more than one stroke or fill to an object with the appearance panel

InDesign: organise your workflow in the layout process. Combining images, text and other materials to create a global layout

If you would have all those abilities in one app, that app will be bloated with an excess of possibilities and it will crash all the time, like CorelDraw does.

I know there are people that write a text in Excell, Is that the correct app to use? I don"t think so but some do

1 Like

No, as you already know, only center-strokes are applicable to live type, BUT the Appearance panel does allow you to re-order things, so dragging the fill to the top of the stack allows you to hide the inward halves of strokes (behind the fill) and make it appear as though the strokes are built out-only.

This effectively replicates the old trick of placing an un-stroked copy on top.

1 Like

Ah hah. Gotcha. Thanks!
Now I have to check that out a bit. Might be an interesting mess on expansion.
:slight_smile:

Yeah, “interesting” is one word for it. Expand Appearance just bust it up into 4 (or whatever the total of fills/strokes was) live point-type objects, so subsequent Expand commands just outline them like any other type objects. You end up with a stack as you’d expect, but it’s nothing non-standard, so several Pathfinder clicks can get you down to a single level.

Yes!

That’s my biggest concern with these kinds of features. They’re useful to some, but they’re specialty needs. Instead of being useful for most, they bloat out the CC applications with bugginess, complexity and disc space.

Rather than Adobe continuing to add these kinds of capabilities as core features, I wish their three big applications (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) stuck to the core basics each were designed for.

I’d much prefer that Adobe designed and coded these specialty features as add-ons that could be easily installed from the cloud and deactivated as needed by the end user — similar in concept, I suppose, to the way Adobe allows its users to install and remove Typekit fonts.

This way, when a few people need the ability to stack a dozen outlines around live type or whatever, they can scroll through the list of hundreds of Adobe-approved add-ons, then pick and install the one needed for the job.

Rohit, are you with Adobe?

This is a road they are taking with their Sensei idea.

It’s an idea about Artificial Intelligence and machine learning.

In the future they are going to learn from your habits (use of your tools, habits of creating things and so on…) From this knowledge you will have a limited toolbox r an expanded one of you use a lot of tools.

In the latest edition of Illustrator CC 2019 they already made the first step with the limited standard toolbar.

Software that assumes ideas and gives you only the options that are adequate for a general result is like shopping for pre created shapes, templates and so on.

Bye Bye Graphic Designer

Rohit doesn’t seem to want to answer that question lol :wink: However, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say no :wink: