What Quotes have inspired you? please no religion or politics

Actually what Confusius really said was “Haste does not get you there”. My interpretation of that is “If you want to get there fast, slow down”.

Similar ‘More Haste, Less Speed’ is a saying here. It works for Design and Repro.

1 Like

Measure twice cut once?

1 Like

A friendship lost through vanity, is loss of my humanity.

Measure once, cut twice?

1 Like

Measure once, cut long.
Test fit, measure again, trim shorter.
Repeat until fit is correct, then install.

That sounds a bit smartassy, but I spent all my spare time over about 10 weeks of this Summer single-handedly building a deck on the back of my house, and there’s nothing worse than cutting too short. I don’t build for a living, or even a hobby, and I found the inconsistencies of dimensional lumber make measuring and cutting correctly extremely important and sometimes frustrating. Intentionally cutting long to facilitate a test-fit-then-adjust workflow became an extremely valuable approach, especially while building the railing.

5 Likes

Looks great; nice work!

1 Like

I wish I could put my hands on the exact quote, but Lee Clow said something along the lines of “When writing copy, measure once and cut twice. Thrice if necessary.”

1 Like

That looks really nice! I wish I had the skills needed to do that kind of thing.

Of course now you’ll have the annual maintenance of all that wood.

We have a wooden deck about half that size (I hired it built). Every year there’s the chore of brushing on the stain/preservative. Then every four or five years, there’s the stripping of the previous years’ stain, then adding a fresh coat. And, of course, wood isn’t all that stable, so there are the inevitable repairs. It’s worth it though — outside decks are great places to eat, visit with friends and family or just lounging around and relaxing.

1 Like

Yeah, we’re pretty happy with the way it turned out, and we’re still enjoying it even as the weather begins its Winter downturn. The area where I put it was a relatively useless fenced-in “litter box” for the previous owner’s pugs, and one of several big-negative tick marks on my wife’s homebuyer score sheet when we bought the place. This is a major improvement.

Beautiful work!

1 Like

“I never lose. I either win or I learn.”
Nelson Mandela.

I heard this recently quoted by Jose Mourinho, before his new team Tottenham played his old team Manchester United. The unspoken implication is that he learned a lot at Manchester United.

2 Likes

“Haste Makes Waste” is a saying here. In a sign shop, there is a fine line between not having time to do it right and having to do it over.

HB, that’s a very nice deck.

Jose Mourinho can be such a good person in one breath and then say something totally vitriolic the next. I’m glad he’s back. Now if Rafa Benitez gets the Arsenal Job?

1 Like

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.”

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

3 Likes

Hi there,
I am very happy to know about the beginning of the thread on inspirational quotes. I like these too and every quote has some lesson and stores of motivation.
It’s a great idea. I appreciate it.

“To handle yourself, use your head; to handle others, use your heart”. –
Eleanor Roosevelt

2 Likes

“We cannot become what we need to be by remaining what we are”

• Max Miedinger

No. That was for hamburger recipes.

"If you want to end a conflict, you have to shake hands with your enemies."

I’ve heard variations on this quote by politicians in Northern Ireland and anti-apartheid campaigners in South Africa - there are probably more examples and its origins are lost to time. The realisation that in order to make peace you have to make friends with the people you hate is a profound lesson of history.

3 Likes