What Quotes have inspired you? please no religion or politics

Yes, well there is some context around the utterance that might help. In the scenario, Gurdjeiff was a teacher, and this was advice to his pupils. In that sense, he was referring even to information offered by he himself to them, as in; don’t take my word for it. Also, what he was teaching them was a belief system in which there is no distinction between scientific and unscientific. That is, even that which we’d regard as spiritual or emotional matters are the result of measurable processes and conditions that can be studied and subsequently controlled via an understanding of their working.

While I would agree that our perspective of the metaphysical requires a certain flavor of faith, or at least conclusions based on projection of known upon unknown, Gurdjieff would have asserted it’s only that way in our view, whereas objectively—above and outside of our common sphere of conventional consciousness—that which we consider metaphysical is just as plain, measurable, and verifiable as what (we think) we know to be physical.

I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn’t say any other way — things I had no words for. – Georgia O’Keefe

There are three responses to a piece of design: yes, no, and wow! Wow is the one to aim for. – Milton Glaser

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks. But of course, if you dig deeper, it’s really how it works. – Steve Jobs

Creativity is a drug I cannot live without. – Cecil B. DeMille

The life of a designer is a life of fight. Fight against the ugliness. Just like a doctor fights against disease. For us, the visual disease is what we have around, and what we try to do is cure it somehow with design. – Massimo Vignelli

Design is so simple, that’s why it is so complicated. – Paul Rand

1 Like

I’ve heard the before several different ways, but my favorite version has to be in “A Princess Bride” - Inconceivable!

This is the way the 80-20 rule was invented lol.

Thoreau is wonderful reading that, unfortunately, people don’t seem to have the time for anymore. Your second quote is very famous and it gives me the same feeling I had when I read The Death of Ivan Ilyic by Tolstoy. A sentence can hit like a brick.

And those who do, typically prefer something a little more approachable. Walden is also a book, that if read superficially, seems to be little more than a rather dull account of the author’s day-to-day life while living in the woods for a few months. Lying behind the words, however, is a perspective-changing view of the world and one’s place in it.

You mentioned Tolstoy, so I’ll also toss in Victor Hugo, Fyodor Dostoevsky and Miguel Cervantes. Reading their books can be a struggle, but unlike books read for enjoyment, the writing of these authors disguise a deeper meaning that belies or, maybe, transcends what’s actually written.

1 Like

If you read Thoreau’s Walden from the perspective of a man who knows he is soon to die (he had tuberculosis) there is even greater depth in that book.

1 Like

Excellent reading list. “Ivan Ilyich” is only about 100 pages long, and I don’t want to give away the ending, but the last sentence… wow. So simple, but so overwhelming.

I agree absolutely about Walden. I keep a copy of it along with Keats poetry because oI can open either and completely change my perspective. Also, with Thoreau, I compare the liking of it to “a” (non-specific) song you heard. Maybe you didn’t really like it at first, but the more you hear it, the better it gets. It’s too complex (layered) for one reading (listening).

P.S. I also use the George Carlin trick when 'm really stuck on fine art or illustration work.

Like for example, just in your First quote: Thoreau uses the word “front”, not “confront”. That is something you won’t really make the distinction of until you think a little. It removes the tension from the act [of facing ones own place in the world].

This switch of mood is so useful in design.

Same with Keats (I think tuberculosis too, but maybe emphysema?). That’s why you know the emotion in it is true. It’s a person writing for themselves because they feel they have something to say but couldn’t until confronted with the worst personal news possible.

8604630 Who is the quote from?

ahem, excuse me. From whom did you acquire the quote you listed above?

‘‘The willow which bends to the tempest, often escapes better than the oak which resists it; and so in great calamities, it sometimes happens that light and frivolous spirits recover their elasticity and presence of mind sooner than those of a loftier character.’’

~Albert Schweitzer

2 Likes

Love that one RKK. Sort of ironic that the statement itself is so weighty.

1 Like

That reminds me of the Bruce Lee quote: “Be like water.”

1 Like

right!

Ford Prefect explaining the effects of going into hyperspace to Arthur Dent - “It’s unpleasant, it’s like being drunk” “What’s so unpleasant about that?” “You ask a glass of water”.

The most recent edition to my list of favourite quotes:

“If we try to focus on everything, we focus on nothing.”

Andrew Grove

I try to explain this to clients that want everything to stand out.

1 Like

Confucius obviously never had a deadline in his life. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Actually what Confusius really said was “Haste does not get you there”. My interpretation of that is “If you want to get there fast, slow down”.