What’s Changing The Era Of Web Designing?

The humanity is heading towards a complete tech-savvy and Internet-savvy era, which flaunts its capability to browse the Internet through a lot of devices that include mobile phones and Android tablets. Now, this calls for a web design that could get adapted to almost all the platforms and the operating systems that are being used by the one visiting the website at the moment.

And what else other than a responsive web design can do the needful. Knowingly, a responsive web design allows a site’s layout to change as the screen size being used to view that site changes.

So there is no profit denying the fact that responsive web design is the most important feature to add to your website.

Few other benefits of a responsive web design include:

-It makes sites more searchable and improves SEO rankings

-Provides higher conversion rates

-As a single website runs on every device/platform, it is easier to manage

-It provides a better user experience

OK. I think most of us already agree that responsive web design is a good thing. What prompted you to tell us your opinion on this, though.

As such, I had no primary motivation of making this information accessible here. I simply shared my bits of knowledge which might help newbie designers to structure an viable website when redesigning any website or just starting the web design from scratch.
Much the same as a couple of sites structured by me are responsive web design.
https://spam-site-removed.com/
https://spam-site-removed.com/

So, spam.

I suspected that would be the case. Our spammer friend just lost his posting privileges.

Responsive web design is just one thing which is being used from the past few years. Apart from this few things that we should consider are like;

• Good design
  • Loading speed
  • Error-Free Website
  • Unique Content

For me, it’s about how it’s getting easier to have your own website even without knowing how to design or know coding. There are drop and drag website builders like Wix and there is the hPage.com website builders where only minimal HTML is needed and you can use your own code on their platform then go online within minutes.

I think this change is good thought because it allows beginners to create a website for free just to test out the waters. The charges are also minimal so they don’t have to shell out a lot of money for website.

Even though the thread started out with a spammer, I’ll jump in.

One of many things that has changed and that I hope will change again, is how bad, unimaginative and repetitive most website designs have become.

I’m blaming this mostly on how most everything has moved to generic Content Management Systems (CMS) run out of a database and using off-the-shelf, generic templates. Everything is structured to be flexible enough to pull whatever content is needed to be placed into rectangular boxes designed to accommodate most any generic content one might choose to flow into it.

I’m not saying there’s not good reason for the move to CMSs — there is — but what I am saying is that website user interface design has mostly become a routine of modifying templates, best practices and dogmatic notions rather than pushing the envelope on coming up with new, creative and interesting designs.

Over time, simple HTML and CSS has needlessly turned into a nightmare of complex systems, scripting languages and overlapping skills. This leaves everyone doing their little part of the puzzle and no one in a position to stand back, look at the bigger picture and say, “I have a completely new idea that I’d like to try.”

As bad as web design was back in the 1990s when people were just starting to get the hang of things, there are two thing that were far better then than today: simplicity and innovative design.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

This article is almost a year old but like it or not, this is the next level of “web designing.” There was a big segment on it at AdobeMax as well.
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/augmented-reality-breakthrough-2018

Personally, IMO, you can keep it.
Anyone that thinks they can fit a shoe by taking a pic of their foot and overlaying a pretty picture is just as dumb as the texting-while-walking idiots I watched almost walking through a graded fountain (ie no basin) in a building lobby in Boston last week. The building had to post 2 guards just to keep distracted folk from getting drenched. I think it woulda served 'em right. And it would have made my morning far more amusing. :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah it’s right…For the beginners it helps a lot. Creating a website on these builders is simple.

Yes, and that’s why I’ve always done custom sites when I switched from non-CMS sites to a CMS. There are so many designers out there who pick a theme instead of starting with design. Then they just plug in some images, the content and pick colors and typefaces. It’s a totally backwards process and, like you said, it doesn’t lend itself toward creative solutions. It’s often the same layout with different-looking elements.

Yes, You are right.

1 Like

I agree that responsive web design is the key feature of any website and the benefits that you have mentioned are perfect but in my opinion, the most beneficial outcome of is that it can increase the SEO ranking of the website. because without SEO ranking, no website can be easily visible to any internet user. It is really important to work on the website’s SEO if you want the website to be fruitful. Other than that, User experience also matters a lot.

Moderator edit: Sorry Amanda, but I needed to remove the link. We have a no advertising policy here for posts.

I think it’s great that things like Wix and WordPress have meant that people with little to no skill level can get onto the web and sharing their stuff. But ZOMG it has meant that the web is flooded with samey samey sites. I was doing a competitor analysis for my marketing module and 80% of the developers locally are WP devs … header, big hero, parallax scrolling … it’s all a bit snoozey.

So given everyone here is agreed that responsive is kind of a given now - what is the Next Big Thing?!

Maybe this should be a whole new topic…?!

The next big thing will be content-only web design followed by algorithm design for smart automating of optimal layouts.

Eventually web design will give way to automated web-based reports generated by personal internet agents.

I’m thinking there won’t be a next big thing in web design — just an ongoing parade of incremental changes that, over time, amount to large changes.

For example the trend lines suggest that the position of UI/UX designer will become increasingly differentiated from the coding and scripting necessary to bring those things to life (probably due to the increasing complexity of coding templates for CMSs, which have almost entirely replaced static websites — even for small websites).

I’m sort of predicting the increased relevance and use of the do-it-yourself website builders as accepted ways to design increasingly complex and diverse websites instead of just being quick-and-dirty ways to get a site online.

Bandwidth will continue to grow, which paves the way for more bloated and complex websites — even for mobile use when 5G becomes the norm.

I could go on, but these are all extensions of things already happening. I suspect the revolutions in web design are mostly over for now. What I’m seeing instead is a broadening of how the internet is used beyond the web, like the proliferation of various kinds of 5G wireless internet applications needing UI/UX design, like home monitoring systems, online banking applications, life management apps, health monitoring software, self-driving interfaces and just about everything else imaginable that take place in ways that interface with the internet, but that aren’t necessarily websites — the “internet of things” I’ve heard it called.

IOT is already here. The interface designing is being done now.
I hope someday to see graphic designers completely out of the IT end of design. They’re a big cause of security leakage on the lower end of the web design scale because they just don’t know how to plug the holes.

I suppose what I’m saying is that with (especially) 5G, the whole thing will explode into something that far exceeds what’s there today and will open a whole bunch of doors — both good and bad — that will be revolutionary. The Internet of Things is at about the same phase of development as websites were in the mid to late '90s or desktop publishing was in the mid '80s.

Are you predicting do-it-yourself website builders used primarily by media service-providers, or by clients?

If it’s the former, graphic designer’s will be needed only to provide content to websites. If it’s the latter, graphic designers will rarely be needed for anything other than adding generic interface elements to automated templates.

©2019 Graphic Design Forum | Contact | Legal | Twitter | Facebook