What’s Changing The Era Of Web Designing?

Graphic designers will gladly get out of IT just as soon as IT professionals get out of graphic design. The problem is, employers won’t let either get out of the other’s way. Too many employers are too slow to learn that content development and content delivery should be two separate jobs. I’ve sacrificed job opportunities by avoiding IT.

I’ve mostly worked at what are essentially software firms, where the product started out as an engineering team. I feel like my experiences might be pretty different than a lot of ya’ll. But the problem of designers and developers getting out of each others way in these situations seems ill-phrased.

I feel like there’s a fundamental issue with the idea of a designer making designs and passing it off to a dev, because when the dev goes to implement and can’t make something exactly the same as in the spec, or a tiny thing is ambiguous, the dev needs to make a design decision about what to do (it might be “this is a bigger decision than I can figure out so I better stop and toss this back to design).

I don’t think the processes could ever be successfully separated completely, so it seems like the goal ought to be something else.

I agree, johncs.

With printed materials, it’s a matter of the graphic designer passing along a finished product to be printed. With web design, it’s often more akin to drawing a sketch, then handing it off to someone else to figure out and interpret.

It’s one thing to design a nice mock-up in Photoshop, Sketch, XD or whatever. It’s something else altogether to fully understand what can be done efficiently, practically and in a cost-effective and timely way considering the limitations of the coding necessary to pull it off.

This is the very reason, when it comes to web design, that I’ve kept a foot in both camps and typically do all front-end coding of my designs myself. I just don’t see a good way to bridge the chasm of assigning that task to someone else and losing touch with how it all comes together. A close working relationship with a good developer can be a perfect situation, but tech people and designers all too often see the world from entirely different perspectives.

I’m all for designers and IT working together closely as long as it’s 2 separate job positions, not 1 combined job position, and not 2 job positions with too little separation of responsibility in the (often vague or omitted) job descriptions.

That’s were better personnel management is lacking. And most HR departments are weak when it comes to strategic separation of responsibility, if they even make the attempt. Training is needed also.

HR doesn’t typically get involved much in operations issues, like who works where, whom they report to and what their work entails. However, I agree with your larger point.

Of course in the tech companies themselves and at creative agencies that specialize in interface development, UI/UX designers are typically part of integrated teams that include their tech counterparts.

In less savvy non-tech companies with core competencies that lie elsewhere, somebody in, say, marketing might get pulled in to design a website that gets handed off to IT people. Or it happens the other way around with the tech people starting a project then, as sort of an afterthought, handing it off to the marketing team to wrap a “skin” around their creation. The result, either way, being something of an ill-conceived, half-baked and uncoordinated mess.

Here are some changes in the era of Web Designing:
Video backgroundsmore appealing for users to view
Load faster
Large & Responsive images for the first impression of the users.

I’m certainly seeing more autoplay video backgrounds, but I’m not at all sure they’re more appealing to the users of those sites.

They’re bandwidth hogs and neither browsers nor the speed of internet connects can be depended upon to play them reliably. I’ve heard and read more complaints about them than positive comments.

I have noticed, though, that clients are requesting them because they like them and designers are happy to oblige. For example, I had a recent client who absolutely insisted that a 32MB video loop play in the background of her site. I warned her about the pros and cons, but she wanted it anyway. I made sure there was a static image backup that displayed for those with video turned off.

1 Like

©2019 Graphic Design Forum | Contact | Legal | Twitter | Facebook