Where do you look for inspiration and motivating i

During my several decades in this business, I don’t recall clients requesting something that designers would consider trendy unless there was a good reason for doing so. Clients don’t keep up with or care about design trends unless they’re running a business that caters to trend-conscious customers. When I was in design school, a trendy solution was a negative attribute, not a positive one.

I’m not suggesting that designers keep their heads buried in the sand — it’s important to keep up with the times and not become dated. However, as PrintDriver mentioned, designers are supposed to lead, not follow others.

Are you sure the problem is really that you’ve exhausted your pool of creativity? :pouring_liquid:

…I used to think this way, however what I’ve since realized, is that whenever I hit a roadblock it’s not actually that I’ve run out of creativity (which I don’t believe you can, by the way), it’s actually that I don’t have a clear idea of what solution should look like because I’m missing information from the brief.

I want you to imagine for a minute you’re not a graphic designer, but instead a furniture designer and you’re tasked with designing a chair :chair: - if this is all the information you’re given the number of potential designs are endless and it actually feels a little overwhelming because there are so many different styles and types of chairs, however if I said it needed to be a collapsable portable camping chair for boys between the ages of 3-6 that like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :turtle:, the solution becomes a lot more obvious.

Design is more formulatic that I think a lot of people in our space would feel comfortable to admit, I hope this helps.

1 Like

Different platforms are helpful to explore. It expands the learning horizon and creative mindset. Some of them are: Dribbble, Behance, Abduzeedo, Pinterest, siteInspire, Land-book, Commerce Cream, muzli and Designinspiration. as a designer we have to learn and boost our creativity everyday.