Will software continue to move toward mobile OS?

Fresco, Illsutrator, Photoshop.

There is an Adobe Comp - and you can create basic layouts and then it automagically creates an InDesign document to work from.

The M1 chip and Apple OS11 (Big Sur) are out now. Yes, Big Sur is OS Eleven. no more OSX. in fact, I have an M1 Mac Mini arriving tomorrow for testing that all out. The problem right now is OS11 runs everything not iOS in Rosetta. Adobe has not caught up yet. They hope to have maybe Photoshop ready for M1 in the next several months but the other software is a year behind right now. Supposedly stuff runs faster in Rosetta on Big Sur than on Catalina. For what I do, other than a dozen gaussian blurs in one Illustrator file, my machine runs plenty fast enough. I just need it to RUN and interface with all my stuff, LOL!

Been having this argument on the Adobe forums and a few other places.

Apple really shot themselves in the foot with this. I know they released their info and gave people opportunities and stuff.

But… they also knew that a lot of design studios and printing studios use Mac and their OS. And they bring out a new chip that doesn’t work with what a lot of people need it to work with.

It’s like me going and buying a new computer and installing Linux and saying “Come on Adobe, catch up!!!”.

Where there are a few small known issues with Rosetta 2 emulating the x86 architecture, there really sin’t too big of an issue from an Adobe standpoint - the Rosetta 2 emulates it just fine.

There are a few people who are having issues - but they are putting these down to problems with the Adobe not catching up with the M1 chip - which I still say it’s up to Apple to make their emulation better!

anyway - a lot of people have the hump now with Adobe - and it’s not their fault that their chain of users have been lumped with an M1 chip using different architecture …

I say that’s on Apple to make the experience better.

There is a roadmap for the Adobe software - but it’s like clicking a button. As I’m under NDA I can’t really say what the timeline is.

Lightroom is the only Adobe App that works Natively under the M1 chip.

In saying all that - it should be completely fine - but I would urge people not to jump to the M1 chip until Adobe have rewritten their software or the M1 architecture.

There’s a lot o people annoyed with this - and I’ve been saying or a long time - don’t get the latest and greatest until it’s been tested and at least 1 patch rolled out for it.

@PrintDriver It’s great that you’re testing this. That’s exactly what everyone else should be doing. The amount of people who are having issues and attesting them to Adobes fault is mind-boggling!

How is it Adobe’s fault they bought a computer that doesn’t run the software natively?

I can’t stand the idea of working with a small screen, or having enough “horsepower” to render the images I need, either. Hardware and software devs are trying create a way for the user to design in the mobile world however…and they are succeeding in my opinion. I’m not currently implementing this myself, but I’m certainly up for anything if it improves or streamlines my processes.

It is not Adobe’s fault.
And it won’t be any of the rip manufacturer’s faults, or the sign software or the Mac/AutoCAD interface.

It’s just a new chip. Like the Intel chip was. Like the 64-bit change over was. It’s all about not being bleeding edge but able to make a jump if necessary.

I did not get to retire out of this industry fast enough.

2 Likes

The other thing too…You have to buy a new machine with the M1 chip in order to fully maximize the Big Sur software. We have BigSur on a regular Intel machine here and it runs just fine. Is it emulating? Is it gonna screw up? I have it on one soda coozy machine. We’ll find out. But I did wait for the second update, LOL.

2 Likes

Latest I’ve heard is that Samsung are developing their own too… so this will be fun.

1 Like

No. No, this will not be fun.

2 Likes

Think of the Chromebook - the Chromebook 2 is coming out soon.

It’s actually pretty nifty - but they are relying on Intel or AMD processors.

I don’t mind for these portable devices, like Chromebook - or their own phones.

1 Like

I find the mobile apps for Adobe Suite useful for sketching on the go and getting down ideas in front of the TV at night especially because they’re small. I nicked my daughter’s convertible laptop a month or two back to play - the ones that you can flip and use like a touchscreen tablet - and outside of the trauma of it being so under spec’d for anything I found it really balanced out the power of the full programs with the pen to paper intuitiveness of drawing so I’m looking into a device like that (with a ******* higher specs) for my next machine alongside a few good monitors for my desk to hook it up to.

1 Like

Amen on more Ram! I’m pushing 40gb and my mac runs smooth as butter. I use my 13" ipad (SideCar) to hold my tools/windows.