Logo Poll

I am making a logo for a hydroponic business, retailing indoor growing equipment supplies such as nutrients, pest control, grow lights, grow tents, pumps, heaters, ventilation etc.

The business will be called Hydroponik (with a ‘k’)

Attached are 3 Logos ideas. All shown with dark and light backgrounds, and also Mono.

I would like to go with the scientific theme, so my idea for the icon was a periodic chart style (hence the uppercase ‘H’ and lower case ‘p’, and number 1)

(The chemical element symbol for Hydrogen is number 1 on the periodic chart and is usually shown in green, and as it starts with the word ‘Hydro’ it kind of all ties together nicely)

Also attached are some ideas for graphics to be used on printed material such as flyers, letter heads and also social media posts etc which involve the hexagon shape chemical compound graphics. This is not meant to be part of the logo but will be a part of the overall brand identity.

With this in mind, which logo do you all think works best? 1, 2 or 3

1 Like

It doesn’t make any sense. All the logos are the same.

H is periodic element hydrogen

Hydro is typically related to water.

Having the number on it is confusing and makes no sense.

1 Like

@Smurf2 3 logos are uploaded. One in a square, one in a hexagon, and one in a cutout hexagon.

Hydroponics is related to water… it means to grow plants in water.

The number was to nod to the style of a periodic table element… like the Breaking Bad logo (attached)

1 Like

Yeh but br and ba are periodic symbols and the numbers match the table.

Yours doesn’t match. It makes no sense.

I know you used different geometric shapes but they’re not different enough to be different.

It’s the same logo, not 3 options.

Sorry its just not enough of a change.

And the numbering makes no sense.

@Smurf2 Ok then. I get you. What do you think to just logo 1 (in the square) but without the number 1? So it will just say ‘Hp’

In Breaking Bad , a chemist and chemistry played pivotal roles. Does your client want to stress the role that science and chemistry (nutrient solutions) play in hydroponics? If so, I like the idea. The periodic table reference might be less appropriate if your client is primarily a hardware retailer with little concern for the science behind what they sell.

Luckily, most of their customers are probably aware of the science involved and will understand the periodic table reference. The square, the color, the typeface, and the upper and lower case make it pretty obvious to anyone who’s ever taken a chemistry class.

If it were me, I’d drop the atomic number. Yes, it always appears in the periodic table, but the table also includes the element’s atomic weight, which you’ve omitted. In addition, the atomic number usually occurs in the upper left instead of the right. Positioning it on the right makes it appear more as a superscript. All this considered, I’d drop the 1.

I like the hexagon’s look, but it implies carbon and organic chemistry. The reference is appropriate for plants grown in a hydroponic solution, but the hexagon loses the periodic table associations, so I’d lose the 1 since it no longer makes any sense.

Despite my comments, I like the idea (if it’s appropriate for the client).

pH level would be appropriate.

The hexagon makes more sense for hydroponics as hydroponics doesn’t focus on 1 element, but takes many elements from air and water and other sources.

A bit of research shows hexagons would be more appropriate but still very cliche.

But when I research hydroponics logos I don’t find that shape, so unless it’s scientific based it’s not appropriate.

Most go for leaves, water drops etc.

It might be unique but is it appropriate?

What is the assignment?

What is the unique selling point of the client/product?

Ok I’ve took a new approach.

Replaced the ‘Hp1’ icon with one that represents a tree / plant and signifies growing by the up arrow

Does this work better with the hexagon shape chemical comppund branding?

Plus added a slight gradient to the colour.

Also made a change to the way the text is stylised to keep it simpler from ‘HYDROponik’ to ‘Hydroponik’

Still keeping the ‘k’ spelling as that’s what makes the brand name unique

Any thoughts on this are appreciated

1 Like

I quite like this. Have you searched to see if you can find a similar logo in use?

I’m not sure the gradient is needed, but it could easily be left out and printed solid as needed. I like the mention of science, which helps support the organic molecule overlay. The upward arrow in the tree logo is great. I even like the green period after *The science of a greener life."

However, the green color lies outside the CMYK gamut, but it works well for RGB uses. I suppose a duller green would suffice for CMYK purposes

1 Like

https://lens.google.com/search?ep=gsbubb&hl=en-AT&re=df&p=AbrfA8qayzm3n-5Aj7ABMre4nrQrTrM7Z4Iz7qJmVxeCJgwZ8TuAyfM-PO61pmBfPYTQM4eWhSoX9rvYZ2aDxLjO_DouBFFqmx6xC4GzLZSTjN29u9t585AIsdhX9NJS0e2xfdV0l2JPAv0x2lI96_CUBk_fs3Plh-LzMqEf716t3rkkg7eKt-bu3Hf05UHA6Yl7cZEpC6QaAd8nKQ%3D%3D#lns=W251bGwsbnVsbCxudWxsLG51bGwsbnVsbCxudWxsLG51bGwsIkVrY0tKRGxrWkdFeU5XWmtMVEJtTkdJdE5ESmhZUzA0TWpReUxUZzRPVEprWWpGa01URmxaUklmTkRSYVpITkRObGx0WlRCV1RVbG5SM0JuU1V4dVVEQTBaRzVzV2pkb1p3PT0iXQ==

2 Likes

I too really like this. I also wasn’t bothered with your first versions, the criticism of the periodic chart just seemed a little too narrowly focused. That said, I think this version is better. I really like the word all the same cap treatment, and the symbol is both precise, had the nice nod to organic chemistry with the use of the hexagon and the little tree element is surprisingly effective. It also appears from the other posts, that even though similar - I mean, these days… what isn’t similar to something - it appears to be unique. Love the color palette.

Sorry, if you’re going to enter a market that is scientific by any measure then you can’t skimp on factual design elements.

It still annoys me that ponic is spelled incorrectly.

If I saw it as a brand I would say it’s weak, not researched, not accurate, and professionals would laugh it out of the room.

If I presented something like that, and I’m actually currently actively engaged in pharma work, I wouldnt get very far.

You have no idea how fickle the industry can be.

The hydroponic is a very niche market and people who do this work are academic.

This brand logo is not by any means in that wheelhouse, and the target audience is a huge miss here, especially on the first round.

The 2nd round is a complete rip off, not thought out, just another stolen idea.

Very disappointing.