2-in-1 Laptop vs Gaming Computer vs Regular Laptop

Hello all!

New graphic design student here and I’m looking for suggestions on laptop recommendations. My budget cap is no more than $1,000 (maybe a little more) and I’m struggling on what would be a good fit for my basic needs of running Adobe Software (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects) as well as video editing and coding.

I’ve been looking at a couple of different options:

The Lenovo Flex 5 or 6, it’s one of those 2-in-1 laptop and tablet hybrids. I like the idea of being able to draw digital illustrations as well as running it as a regular laptop. Is this type of laptop a solid choice for a graphic design student?

Secondly, I was recommended to check out the Lenovo Legion, a beast of a gaming laptop that would supposedly be able to run all of my programs and deliver fantastic graphics because it has one of those dedicated NVIDIA Graphics cards. Are gaming laptops the route to go, simply because they pack a lot of power? Admittedly, I am not a huge fan of the look or bulk of the machine, and I don’t run games on my computer, but if it’s the most cost and hardware effective then I would gladly purchase it.

So what do you guys think? Are the 2-in-1 hybrid laptops substantial or are the gaming laptops a better option? Or should I get a regular laptop, and if so, do you have any specific recommendations?

Thank you SO MUCH

In addition to choosing what’s generally considered a reliable brand, probably the most important thing is getting a machine with plenty of RAM. Eight megabytes is a minimum for design work, and 16 will do for most things. A good sized hard drive or SSD is important too — not just for storage but to use as a scratch disk for memory hogs, like Photoshop and After Effects. Whether it’s labeled as a gaming computer or not, if it has the right specs, it’ll work.

1 Like

And by this he means Gigabytes (I think).

1 Like

Yes! Thank you. Definitely gigabytes.

1 Like