A font for both print and digital

Hello - I am new to the forum. I was hoping to get some input into a project I am working on.

What fonts do designers believe are best for both print and digital media? I am working on a brand update for a client and wanted to know which modern and contemporary font they could use to work across their brand. Something un-serifed and clean with excellent legibility and accessibility for users is a must. There is just so many fonts to choose from around the standard well known options.

Your recommendations would be much appreciated please. TIA

H

?? … ??

1 Like

Perhaps what I meant to say was
serifs that do not call attention to themselves. I do not mind either a serif or sans-serifed font.

Apologise
H

Whatever works.

Times New Roman
Arial
Comic Sans

1 Like

Verdana and Georgia (a serif typeface) were designed specifically for screen use by Matthew Carter. Of course, that was over 20 years ago when computer displays were of much lower resolution. With today’s displays, I’m not really sure that differentiating between screen and print use is warranted. What works for one typically works for the other. I still stay away from typefaces with lots of picky little details for screen use, though — at least for text.

As B said, technical issues with the differences between the two have narrowed. It is far more important to consider brand consistency across all media.

Just adding to what I wrote, subpixel rendering technology has bumped up the apparent resolution for digital display type even higher. Apple and Microsoft handle it different — Microsoft’s rendering is a bit crisper and arguably slightly more readable, while Apple is more concerned with displaying the type more accurately. Each is different, but each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Computer display text has come a long ways over the past 20 or 30 years. :grinning:

What I love is when a windows machine boots up, there is still a momentary screen with machine text on it like that. It’s 2021. Really?

As for this thread. This is the future of design…embrace it.

Yes, your Windoze machine is still running DOS under the skin.

No it doesn’t. Since Windows XP it’s based on Windows NT and not dependant on MS DOS atall.

From Windows 2000, up to Windows 10 - there’s no DOS reliability.

It’s 20 years old.

I didn’t mean that exact screen and there is no mention of DOS. Just a screen with white machine text on a dark background that gives me flashbacks to my old green and black monochrome first monitor. LOL.
It’s still very anachronistic and quite a turn off, actually.

It’s pre-OS-load access to the system BIOS (CMOS; the hardware memory), settings; something Apple wouldn’t dream of offering.

Windows visualises each step:

1. First it does power on self-test known as a POST
  2. Then the boot manager which finds winload.exe
  3. Then the OS Sytem Loader
  4. Then the NT Kernel

Apple does the same thing - except it only shows the Apple Logo.

1. It has similar to POST - the boot.efi which is initial self-test
  2. Loads the boot.efi and Secure Boot
  3. Boots the EFI firmware
  4. Boots the Mac kernel

Sorry haven’t had my coffee!

Mac has something similar called Open Firmware
Comand Option 0 F when the machine boots to access this.