A free web-based alternative to After effects

Hi there,

I’m working on a free web-based alternative to After Effects (much simpler of course, but covering the basics). It aims to become a credible alternative to paid motion design softwares, like Photopea is a credible one to Photoshop.

I could just paste the link to the website here, but that would probably flag the post as plain promotion, which is not allowed by the forums rules, so I am asking first:

Is anyone interested to know more about it ?

1 Like

Thanks for asking first. You’re correct; if you had simply tried to post a link, we probably would have removed it as spam. Besides, the forum software prevents new forum members from posting links. I’ve upped your permissions, which will enable you to do so.

If you don’t mind getting criticism and feedback, feel free to create a link.

Thank you Just-B,

I’m pleased to introduce you Pikimov, a free web-based motion design tool:
https://pikimov.com

Designers used to After Effects interface will feel very confortable here, they will find the usual timeline with keyframes to animate properties. I’d like to point out that everything is processed locally: no files are uploaded online, keeping your files private and allowing you to use the tool even if your internet speed is not optimal.

Feedback, features request, and bug reports are very welcomed

Here’s a teaser video to introduce Pikimov editor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQPxcnpRgIM

Pikimov has evolved a lot since my last post, with added features, greater performances, less RAM usage.

Considering all the talk about the updated Adobe terms of service, it’s worth mentioning that Pikimov does not upload your files to a cloud server, your files stay on your machine, and of course your projects are not used to train AI models. Everything you do with the editor is processed locally.

2 Likes

Very interesting! I’ll share this with my video editing colleague. I’ve heard of other web-based motion design tools like Fable. What are some features you’re particularly proud of?

For now I am still busy adding all the basic features of a solid motion design editor, the next one will be an outlines effect, and 3d compositions (each item is placed in a 3d space rather than a 2d space).

Wow, that seems like an ambitious project! AfterEffects is a huge program, best of luck with it.

A lot happened on Pikimov since my last post on the forum: it got featured in multiple Online Magazines such as CDM and 80LV and reviewed by several Youtubers.

I’ve fixed a lot of bugs on the app and added many new features like:

• import image sequences
  • .flac and .m4a files import
  • radial blur FX
  • invert colors FX
  • luma key FX
  • better handling of framerates with decimal ( ex: 23.976 )

The next big update will bring 3D composition with a proper lighting system for the 3D models to create compositions like this one, mixing 2D & 3D:

1 Like

Looks seriously impressive :+1:

1 Like

Wow, great job! Also, do you know if you will make it compatible for other browsers in the future? I use opera which isn’t supported, though this isn’t a big deal, just wanted to ask.

I am having issues with Opera on Linux, that’s why it’s not considered as a compatible browser. Hopefully I’ll find a solution for this.

What IS the most compatible browser? I’m going to guess it’s either Chrome (in which case most Chromium browsers should have no issue, like Opera) or Firefox.