A little help with a logo please

I apologize if this topic does not belong here and I also apologize for invading your forums as I am not a graphic designer. I am desperately trying to figure this issue out but cannot find the answer I need. I am trying to paint the logo of my favorite sports team on my wall in my basement and my issue is that I do not know the dimensions nor can I find the dimensions on the internet. Is there a way to get those dimensions from an image I find on the internet then do a little math to figure out what those dimensions will be for the larger imagine for my wall.

I don’t think you will find any stated proportional relationships and measurements on the Internet. They likely don’t exist anywhere.

You could find a good copy of the logo, blow it up, print it out, then measure the pieces. Like you said, you’d need to do a little math to enlarge it. Of course, I don’t know the complexity of the logo you’re referring to.

On the off chance that you have an LED projector, you could grab the highest-resolution image you could find off the Internet, project it onto the wall and trace it. You might even be able to rent a projector somewhere for a few days.

1 Like

Solid advice from @Just-B

Or to go real old school, print it out large on paper, go to an art store and get a gizmo called a pounce wheel and also get a charcoal bag. Tape the paper in place, go over the outlines with the pounce wheel, go over it with the charcoal bag and remove the paper. You will have transferred dotted charcoal outlines to the wall. We still do this quite often even today for large, hand-painted scenic work.

Old School Way: You could print it out on an 8.5x11 piece of graph paper, create a grid on your wall in pencil where say a .25" square on the graph paper grid corresponds to a 2", 6", 12" square on the wall (whatever size will fit, gotta measure, a lot). Then you just draw the design you see in the squares on the grid onto the squares in the grid on the wall. There’s actually puzzles like this in Crossword puzzle books. But the projector is the way I would go.

Gridding requires real artistic skill. We have scenic painters that can do that as well.
It’s all a matter of what works well for the imagery.

Another option altogether is to see if the team has a printed vinyl logo you can purchase in the size you want (or close to it.) Depending on the franchise, a lot of them have what are called “fathead” or “wall noodles” that’ll go up easy. How easy they peel off depends on how long you leave it up.

This is exactly how I’d do it if I were working on a wall because if the proportions are wrong it will just look “weird”. When I was first starting I did a window with Looney Tunes characters that turnout awful because I could not get Porky the Pigs head proportional. derp.

You can get a basic overhead projector at a garage sale or pawn shop for around $20, but it will take a while to find one. If you have a local community college or high school nearby, often students can check out or rent equipment. You might be able to borrow one of theirs.

The thing with projecting is the machine has to be able to correct keystoning. Some don’t.
If it doesn’t, you will be stacking it on top of boxes to get it to the proper straight-on height.

Good point.