A vs. a

But there is a standard - it’s called double storey. Always has been.

1 Like

:wink:

I don’t think he was questioning how old a double story g is, but the term used in describing it as a double story g.

The double-story “g”—what is now the common printed form—is the original form of the lowercase “g” (the OG … ?), says Paul Shaw, a type designer who teaches at the New School. It originated in the eighth century among monks copying religious texts in Latin. The script they used became known as Carolingian script.

A page of text written in Carolingian script (British Library)
The ‘g’ in Google’s Old Logo Is Really Weird - The Atlantic

This is a ridiculous conversation. There’s no need to even defend the ‘binocular’ - it’s not the correct term. Regardless of what self-professed ‘gurus’ claim otherwise.

But did the monks call it a double story G? Or was it just a G to them?

You’ll have to ask them

I think that’s the point CraigB was making. Knowing when the term came into use.
Again, I have absolutely no skin in this game.
I am resistant to “because I want it to be” though. I will chalk this one up to regional differences, much like B described, and move on.

There are things in the Wide Format industry that I do ask about because the industry is so new. For instance, the term “face mount” means two very disasterously different things depending on where in the US the print company is.

They certainly didn’t use ‘binoculars’.

But the post-er didn’t say binocular has been used for centuries either.
:wink:

No they didn’t.

The point of the argument is that ‘binocular’ is the incorrect term for ‘double story’ letters.

I argued that ‘binocular’ couldn’t be the correct term, as ‘binocular’ wasn’t invented until 1825. And double story letters have been used in print since at least the 8th century, and certainly up to the early 1500s with moveable type.

Where they called double story letters then? I have no idea, searching the internet for it is like a needle in a haystack. You’d really want to go a library and find a book on typography prior to 1825 that mentions it, and/or binocular.

Certainly, I’ve never come across the term ‘binocular’ and no other typographical articles on anatomy of type mentions binocular as a term used to describe double story letters.

I was then asked to prove/demonstrate this - which is impossible.

Going on the facts I have

1. Nobody else in typographic anatomy calls the double story letters binoculars
  2. Binoculars were invented in 1825, and the first use of the word binocular recorded is in 1600s
  3. Double story letters have been in existence since the 8th century, and certainly prior to 1825 in moveable type.
  4. They definitely had double story dwellings/palaces/etc prior to 8th Century, and certainly up to 16th and beyond.

Going on the evidence, I don’t believe binocular was the term used for double story letters, given the history and development of type from the 8th century first sightings of double story letters.

If anyone can find out - then post what the actual term is.

But I can’t sit here and let someone just say ‘it’s binocular’ - when it’s clearly not.

I’m starting a game …

Every time someone says ‘‘binocular’’, I’m taking a shot :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m not fond of the term binocular (sorry RKK) either, and I don’t plan on using it. Whether double-storied, loop-tailed, binocular, or polymorphously apertured, the words are mostly just professional jargon. Jargon changes and differs from one person, place, or time to another. It’s not a big deal.

1 Like

The industry is already diluted - fighting a losing battle.

Yup. That’s why in a few years I will care even less than I do now.
:slight_smile:

Turned off the notifications for this thread :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Know you won’t know when I’ve replied with amazing facts.

1 Like

Actually just kept going cos people were defending it.

FWIW I wasn’t defending it, I was just clarifying what Typography.Guru had said. I have no dog in the fight .

1 Like

I have ALL notifications turned off. On all both social media forums I inhabit. I don’t care that much to have my day interrupted by a forum post.