A vs. a

Hi everybody, first time posting so I hope it’s interesting :slight_smile:

Is there a way of calling the two main different types of drawing a lowercase “a” like in this picture:

Captura de pantalla 2020-11-12 a las 14.21.28
Captura de pantalla 2020-11-12 a las 14.21.45

Also see the “g vs. g” styles as well, does that have a name for each variation?

Thanks a lot!

They’re typically called single-story and double-story a’s and g’s — at least in the crowd I hang out with. (I suppose that would be storey in British English.) It’s interesting that italics are almost always single-story — even in those typefaces where the upright version is double-story.

While I’m at it, welcome to the forum!


To add on to that, you could also say (figures on the right) contain an element called a “decender” as part of the character falls below the base line of type. An “ascender” would be an element that rises above the ceiling line of type

©2020 Graphic Design Forum | Contact | Legal | Twitter | Facebook