A4 drawing print to a3 paper ? can i do this?

Hello there,

I need your help, so I want draw B/W used Indian ink on my a4 paper but I want print that on a3 paper. How i can use a4 drawing that i scan on home scaner and my a4 drawing can print on a3 paper without break the pixel or in other word i can print that with clear line

If you’re drawing on A4-sized sheets of paper and wanting to enlarge the drawings to fill an A4 size, that might result in some blurriness. When bitmapped or raster art (like something that’s been scanned) is enlarged, it will always just be an enlarge version of the original. All the little flaws will get larger. The grain of the paper will get larger. Pixels will be averaged and interpolated into additional pixels.

In other words, it likely won’t look as good enlarged as it did at the size you drew it. Some things enlarge better than others, but there’s no secret trick to make something small look better when it’s enlarged. This is why most hand-drawn illustrations are drawn larger than they will be used. Shrinking an illustration, tightens it up. Enlarging it, makes it more blurry.

You can use a wonderful gadget called proportion wheel to work out your scanner setting, and the end result will be spot-on to print on your A3 paper. The bonus is, you don’t need to plug into a power outlet, nor do you require batteries to do this.

If you scan it at a higher resolution than you need, you can enlarge your art without it getting blurry. A lot of home scanners can do north of 1200ppi, at least in one direction(cross scanning is often higher than step scanning) and may be able to software interpolate higher on scanning, into the 14,000ppi range, at least, according to my Epson documentation (don’t believe it.)

Going from A4 to A3, you want to double your print output resolution as you are scanning something at half the size it is going to print. IOW, if you want to print your A3 final image at 300ppi, when scanning your A4 art, scan it at 600ppi.

But as B noted, any small imperfections in your art are going to be doubled in size. When I scan my inked art, I always scan actual size, then reduce it for use. It also kind of depends on what you plan to do with it after you scan it. If the inking is a prelude to coloring digitally, you can muck around with the contrast curves to get rid of the paper tooth. Up to a point. There is a very fine line between where you can get a bright-ish white, and yet keep the integrity of your finer lines. If it’s solid work without a lot of feathering or crosshatching, you’ll be fine. Beware of erased pencil. You might have to go back in there and touch that up on scanning too.

2 Likes