About font licencing

Hi everyone! I’m am a beginner graphic design and I want to make a typographic logo and the font want to use is called 29LT bukra by 29LT. Before I buy the font I want to be sure that I can use it in the logo by converting it into outlines.

Can anyone please help me with this :pray:

This license statement makes me wary:

You have purchased a license to use the Font in your scope of work. The license does NOT grant you ownership of the fonts. You agree that 29Letters owns all rights, including (without limitation) intellectual property rights, and title in and to the Font and all trademarks, registered and unregistered which are used in or in relation to the Font. It is NOT an agreement for sale of the Font or any portion of it.
(my italics)

1 Like

I gotta say, I had to look at this example sentence the site uses for the typeface several times to get it right. If that’s the kern spacing, there is something wrong with the mechanics of this thing.
Possibly NSFW:
v

v

v

v

v

v

v
v

1 Like

Are you asking if it’s possible to convert it to outlines or whether it’s legal to do so for use in a logo?

It’s almost certainly possible to convert the glyphs to outlines. It’s probably just a standard TTF or OTF font, but oddly, their website doesn’t seem to say what font formats are being sold.

As for legalities, I agree with PrintDriver about the licensing agreement. It’s both ambiguous and restrictive. It goes to great lengths to repeatedly tell buyers they own nothing regarding the font and that buying a license only grants licensees limited permissions to use the fonts in specific ways. I’m assuming the wording is mostly attorney-speak written to provide legal protection against people pirating, reselling, making copies of or reverse engineering their fonts rather than telling buyers the foundry retains rights to whatever is created using their fonts. The license is so ambiguously strident, far-reaching, confusing and restrictive that, if it were me, I’d think twice about buying it.

A similar open-source quality type family, if you’re interested, is Ubuntu. The fonts are freely available from Google Fonts and they aren’t accompanied by all the overly restrictive legal wording.

1 Like

I vaguely remember seeing is was a variable-type font.

If your heart is set on it for a logo, contact the designer and get specific permission.
I’m seeing more and more licenses with stupid wording in them that technically prevents me from making anything other than a print. So if you want that logo as a 3D sign, sorry. Your font license only says print.
I think that is to prevent people from making 3D items and selling them. But if you are going to restrict your licensing, at least make yourself available to provide custom licensing, or put right in the verbage, “no haggling.”

1 Like

This most definitely is an unusual business model. I am going to assume that you create a typeface for the purpose that people buy it, the more the better, as a matter of fact. Now, to establish a licensing condition that is so vague, so ambiguous, so restrictive is akin to cutting your own throat. After all, there are thousands upon thousands fonts out there, and naturally I would follow the path of least resistance.

I understand some legal parameters are necessary, but to be all-encompassing, to me, is counter to “selling” or “making a profit”.

1 Like

I actually want this font because of its Arabic version to make a logo for a client based in UAE. Although the English version isn’t as good as many other fonts the Arabic is far better. I think this font with some modifications could be the perfect fit for my client’s logo.
Anyways there are many other fonts that are also free that can do the job.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Btw is it possible to find the designer who made the font?

Looks like it was a collaborative effort between Adrien Midzic and Pascal Zoghbi.

1 Like

It isn’t so much about the people who made it, but what foundry you buy it from.
There’s contact info at the very bottom of the front page at the 29LT foundry site.
Try that.

1 Like