Abstract: The Art of Design - Paula Scher

Step inside the minds of the most innovative designers in a variety of disciplines and learn how design impacts every aspect of life. In this episode: Graphic designer Paula Scher paints with words, developing the visual language of iconic brands and institutions around the world.

Work

Maps

Make It Bigger

3 Likes

Paula Scher has always been one of my absolute favorite designers — a source of both innovation and inspiration for years. If you haven’t seen this documentary on either Netflix or YouTube, you really should watch it.

2 Likes

I did watch that episode of Abstract when it came out a few years ago. Great stuff.

Maybe someone can refresh my memory. I remember seeing an interview with Paula Scher where she talked about the logo design process. She detailed a typical experience where the client is in love with the work after the presentation and then they come back with changes and the cycle that design goes through to get approved. Was that in Abstract? I’d really like to see that clip again.

1 Like

I had to rewatch this episode. The bit I was referring to starts at 34:30. Good stuff . . .and somewhat comforting to know someone like Paula Scher goes through the same things I go through.

1 Like

I’ll need to rewatch it since it’s been several years. I have a feeling the part you’re referring to about the logos is something that I’ve just incorporated into my own thought processes without realizing it traces back to the video.

The part I was asking about beings at 34:30 in the video. It has to do with client’s reactions when presenting work. Pretty spot on with my own experience.

Didn’t know about this documentary… will definitely give it a watch, thanks!

Hi there, Paula Scher is a great name in the world of designers. What a great piece of art she has crafted! It’s more than a design. I am a literary person but I also had a great passion for designing. I am a great fan of Paula Scher. May she continue her successful journey.
Best.
Thanks

1 Like

Hello Naheed, I just completed an assignment, in which I chose her as my professional leader in my field. Paula is an incredible inspiration for all Graphic Artists but even more so, in my opinion, for the women in our field. She broke the molds for everything she even had a hand in creating. I need to watch the documentary on Netflix, right NOW!

1 Like

Hi Hnp,
Sure, I agree with you. Paula is actually the name of inspiration and it is this name that can awake one’s creativity in Graphic Art.
I also seek a wealth of motivation from her creativity.

All the best,