Additive Color (RGB): Red + Blue =?

Hello everyone, I am studying about colors from a book I’ve purchased today: “Color Design Workbook” by Sean Adams. There is a 1st chapter in which introduction of colors is discussed. The text says that “when these colors overlap, other colors are produced: red and blue light form cyan…” This is where I’ve stopped reading further. Is it a mistake in the text or am I missing something? The diagram shows red and blue produces Magenta. But text is saying otherwise. :thinking:

You’re right, there’s an error in the text.

Red and blue create magenta/pink, not cyan.

Return that book and ask for either an error-free copy or a refund.

It should be green and blue light form cyan.

Was the book a self-published thing? I recently returned a book to Amazon that was full of grammar and spelling errors (not to mention some questionable factual items…)

Not sure, the book came very nicely, in a sturdy package, no damage and quality of pages/text is just perfect. The only issue I saw was the content where color names are wrong. E.g. Red+Blue=Cyan and Cyan+Magenta=Purple. Somewhere a “Warm” is spelt as “Wa”… the r and m letters were left out. I don’t know what to do. I don’t want to return the book as there are some useful information present in the book which I really adore. But my overall experience is jeopardized due to some errors.

okay, I’ve found some more errors. I am planning to return the book and order other on color theory

What’s the book’s name, so that others can avoid it.

A book with a typo or two is one thing, but when the information is incorrect, that’s another.

Edit: It was easy enough to find. It’s this book: Color Design Workbook

The book claims to be the “new, revised edition.” Usually, revised editions correct errors rather than make them. I wonder what the first edition said.

It’s Color Design Workbook - Sean Adams

Looks like we were writing at the same time. Oh, well. Thanks. :grinning:

Digging into this book a little deeper, both the original and updated editions contain the same error.

The book is published by Rockport — a respectable publisher. The author is Sean Adams, an accomplished design educator who is the former national president of AIGA. He’s also the current chair of the undergraduate and graduate graphic design programs at ArtCenter in Pasadena, which is arguably one of the top private design schools in the U.S.

Considering both the author’s credentials and the publisher, if it were me, I’d keep the book. Skimming through the preview pages on Amazon, it looks like a great book, despite the sloppy editing.

1 Like

Almost worth buying a copy and anonymously sending it back to the author - edited

My college physiology class book was a photocopied galley of the professor’s new book. We earned points if we found mistakes.

Strangely, but fortunately, after reading you I did not get my book returned. I’m happy with it as the content given in this book is very useful and interesting to go through. :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.