Adobe Stock's 2022 design trend predictions

I’ve always wanted to own half the fonts that Letterhead Fonts sell, but I have no practical use for them. Like you, a job providing an excuse to buy a few would be great, but I have a distinct lack of clients needing an 1880’s wild west saloon look.

1 Like

I have bough a number of fonts from Letterhead over the years. They make some super nice typefaces.

1 Like

I saw an article the other day or video that predicted web design would start to shift to more typographic styles, with emphasis on making it large. I’m not against sole typography on the web and the examples they provided were cool.

I do however think there is an under-estimation of the “client-expectations,” why just yesterday I was told a client wanted to have their website, “look more apple” as if we all haven’t heard that before. You can’t be a brand in which you are not, and these trends and styles are refreshing but not a final approach to any solution/situation.

I dunno if you’ve been on Apple’s site lately, but I was there yesterday specing out 2 new computers. When you click on one of the configs, say a mac mini, the text immediately fills your screen in something like 180pt type (I have a large monitor)
I don’t want to scroll to see the ad copy on the thing I want. And no one is gonna read all those words.
You can see the tech specs if you want, but you have to click “buy” to get any indication of what the final build price tag would be, and then there is only a save feature with no means to make a printout other than a screenshot…
They’re gonna have to wait until I have more time to spend my $6K…

For example these are full-screen screenshots:

This has been the case for, well, ever — at least as far back as I can remember. When I was in college, I used to look at all the design journals and annuals and wonder how the designers in them became so good.

After working professionally for a few short years, I figured out the answer. The great, innovative, and beautiful work was only made possible because these people had clients who allowed them to do that kind of work on jobs that lent themselves to experimentation and aesthetic niceities.

In graduate school, the work of a professor on my graduate committee was always present in all the design award books. The chance to work with him was one of the reasons I enrolled in graduate school. I soon found out how he won that many awards — his work wasn’t done for clients. Instead, he used his non-teaching hours at school to design posters specifically intended to do nothing but win awards. I brought this up to him one day and he became very defensive. It occurred to me that he didn’t think anyone had noticed that he was, in essence, cheating.

Under the right circumstances, I think many of us could to do the same caliber of work. Unfortunately, a combination of those kinds of jobs and those kinds of clients are a rarity.

I only really looked at the homepage, I didn’t do much digging. I think the contrast between the type is pretty good.

As for not seeing the price tag until you click buy, that may be some subtle artistry. They have you in, you’re curious, you click “buy” then you see the price. What you do after that is your business.

It may be a little annoying though. I’ll give you that