AI - Clipping Shape Out of Shapes

Hi Everyone!

I’ve been trying to figure this out for about an hour and am at my wits end.

Im trying to replicate how the clouds appear to cut into this rainbow:
27%20AM

ATM I have all live strokes and have tried clipping masks, pathfinder, shape builder, and am not able to get the same effect. Here’s the "live version I’ve done:
17%20AM

I don’t want to make another stroke the same color as the background that appears to cut into the rainbow.

Any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

I think you do, but maybe not in the way you think. Copy the pink-cloud stroke, paste it back in the same spot and increase it’s width by two or three times. Expand the stroke to a shape, then, while selecting this shape and the rainbow strokes/shapes, use the pathfinder tool to cut them apart. Then just select and delete the leftover parts.

1 Like

But he also must create the colored lines to a shape otherwise the pathfinder won"t work

You can also copy and outline the path/stroke of the cloud shape. Then you can ‘offset path’ (not much, maybe a 1/6th to an 1/8th of an inch). Use that new shape with the pathfinder to cut away the rainbow.

1 Like

Yes. Not doing that will cause some wonky results.

Thanks! That solution worked. I swear I had tried that multiple times but wasn’t getting the right result. I did have to make the rainbow strokes into shapes for it to work. So props to @Carlo too.