Alright colleagues, this experienced graphic designer needs your help finding a job

Hi GDF Colleagues,

I’ve been job hunting and just haven’t landed one. I started my quest to find a job to replace the ones I had circa August 2017. It’s now March 2019. From then until now I have only had one single graphic design full-time gig at a print shop lasting for exactly 30 days to see if i’d meet their needs and unfortunately, I didn’t make the cut because the owner thought i might not be fast enough for their busiest time of the year having no previous print experience.

Perhaps I don’t have enough content of my own to display in my portfolio because of previous full-time/freelance work being under NDA but it’s all i have. However, I have the experience and skills… I just need to find a full-time gig or i’m beyond sunk.

Here’s my portfolio: http://www.LineDetail.com

My work history from 1995- now:

1998-2000 WorldNet 2000
Made animated and interactive Flash / HTML web sites and interactive flash animated CD-roms.

2000-2001 Robert’s American Gourmet
Made the company web site, HTML & Flash animated. Designed and coded company email newsletter. Made animated TV Spoof webisodes and conceptualized product packaging.

2006-2015 at CPXInteractive
Designed, animated & made-interactive banner ads in Adobe Flash. Created and coded web sites, email newsletters, illustrated comic strips for the ad industry.

2016 QGroup
Designed and coded HTML emails for local clients and in-house products.

2016-2017 at Quantified Media
Modified and set up company’s wordpress - theme site. Created logo, created logos for company products. Created concept work for product labels. Created HTML5 (via Adobe Animate) ads and web site animations. Did Fat - to - thin morphs of people and illustrations for weightloss products in After Effects. Created and/or edited existing landing pages, sales pages and blog pages.

2018 Good Guys Signs
Created and / or edited signs for yard signs, menu signs, vehicle car wraps and illustrations for magnets and / or stickers.

1995 - Present

Freelancing as The LineDetail Drawing Co.

For my own clients:

• Responsive Web Site Design
  • Front End Web Development ( HTML, CSS, and some JavaScript)
  • HTML email newsletter designs & coding
  • HTML5 Animated Ads via Adobe Animate
  • WordPress Site Editing and Utilizing the Divi Theme.
  • WYSIWYG Site editor Unbounce.
  • Animated .gif ads and static .jpg ads
  • Logo Designs
  • YouTube/Facebook Channel Art
  • Cartoon animation for music videos, commercials and introductions
  • Video Production
  • Video editing
  • Motion Design
  • 2D Pixel Game Art
  • Graphic Novel / Comic-style illustration work
  • Illustrated concept art for products including: toys, bags, pillows and housewares
  • Digital Restaurant Menu Designs
  • Restaurant Menu Design for print
  • Page Layouts
  • Typography
  • Custom Presentation Graphics
  • Google Slide Presentation editing
  • Voice over work
  • Flash games ( basic scripting in AS2.0)
  • Flash animated sites
  • Flash animated ads

If you know someone hiring, feel free to pass them my details. Thanks for reading,

Line

When you apply for specific positions, do you structure your resume for each of those positions?

And are you on LinkedIn?

What area?

Willing to relocate? (Not that I’ve actually heard of anyone relocating for a graphic design position.)

Have you considered employment other than as a designer? (I only ask since you say that if you don’t get a full time job you’re sunk. If the job market where you are is oversaturated with out-of-work designers, you may need to consider something else.)

Perhaps I don’t have enough content of my own to display in my portfolio because of previous full-time/freelance work being under NDA but it’s all i have. However, I have the experience and skills… I just need to find a full-time gig or i’m beyond sunk.

1. As @DocPixel alluded to, your resume (and your website) are not targeted to a specific industry. I can tell you’re well rounded, but you may want to trim down your skillset based on what is applicable to what you’re applying for.
  2. There is little context to your presentations. Re-work your copy to include the following sections for each project: Project Overview, Challenge, Solution, Result. This helps you tell the story of how your skills led to success.
  3. Mention some non-design skills in your resume. You’ll be surprised how many employers want a designer that knows more than a technical skill. Some examples include project management, team leadership, and client management. These will help you stand out.

I’m in Florida but willing to relocate. I am currently working in retail but it’s not quite cutting the mustard.

I haven’t done a resume for a specific role and I’m on linkedin

Thanks for the tips! I am reworking my portfolio now.