Anybody using color fonts yet?

It never actually occurred to me until I wrote that diatribe that the sRGB color space is probably used most often just because it lies within the CMYK color gamut. There is usually very little color shift in an sRGB conversion simply because the numbers don’t move much, and the file is smaller. With a ProPhoto RGB image, there is much more likely to be a color shift as the outlying values are compressed in.
Additional dumbing down of the data, less chance for higher quality results and less need for any sort of expertise.
Yay.
Like I said, the machines can do better than your input allows. But if you’re happy with it, whatever.

Yep. Love 'em.

One more solid technique to express a graphic, good stuff!

1 Like

Great to hear. Interesting thread, and I got the information I was looking for.

PrintDriver, what’s your concern about Microsoft? They are one of the drivers of type technology, together with Adobe.

And if you mean what’s unique about QuarkXPress 2018 regarding color fonts, then it is that QX2018 outputs color fonts correctly. Currently there are only three applications I know that do that correctly (the other two being AI CC2018 and PS CC2018). And correct, predictable output is the most important feature of a print app, right? :wink:

I certainly do not have a soft spot in my heart for anything Microsoft.
They think in RGB. They always have. For instance, if you’ve ever fought with getting Microsoft Word RGB text to print as anything other than a 4-color black on press, then you know what I mean. And I suspect that these RGB fonts also print with a 4-color black on output. Even with digital printing, that can present registration issues.

The real question is, does the font output to PDF correctly - and will the rip translate them correctly. That is where the predictability has to come into play. Most work flows, even for those of us who request Native Files, eventually ends up as some form of PDF. Where the rip is concerned, it’s all in the construction of the font. Again, Microsoft has not been my friend there either.
GIGO.

Color Management set up correctly, a properly created color font exports black as 100%K black.

You don’t have to tell me.
Tell the designers that make their own PDFs. Incorrectly.