Arrogant and mean spirited

The other thing I have noticed is how many times people from “non-english” countries get made fun of because of their attempt at English. They are doing their best and don’t always phrase a sentence correctly or they add an “s” at the end of some words. Instead of berating them for their spelling (which I have seen many times) why not instead “understand” why they do that and just answer their questions the best you can without being an arrogant shit? :grinning:

1 Like

I think I might be living in a parallel universe. I’ve seen, many times, where respondents positively acknowledge that fact that a poster’s first language is not English.

When I see grammar and syntax pulled up, it is usually on the work itself, where the text does need to be correct and proofed.

1 Like

Oldcelt is talking about the “graphics designer” thing.
I’ve added that to my reset list. So many things have been renamed and so many words co-opted these days it’s hard to know when what you say might trigger someone. You want to call Graphic Design “Graphics Design” or even “Queen Mother” be my guest. Won’t matter in a few years anyway. Not to me. Not to what’s left of the field. It’s decades too late to save it now.

Ah, I see. My mistake. However, to my mind, this should be called out. It’s just plain incorrect. Nobody calls a lawyer a lawist, or a politician, a politicianer.

I know language evolves, but should we all just accept things that are wrong? Shrug our shoulders at mediocrity?

If these kids are coming here to learn, then perhaps, the first thing they should learn is the actual name of the field they are trying to enter.

1 Like

Yes, you’re right.

I don’t speak French, but if I had to move to France and was looking for a job in France, I’d be sure to learn the language and the correct term for Graphic Design in French.

I work with a guy from India - he constantly gets everyone’s name wrong, spelled incorrectly, he cannot pronounce certain words, but he’s a great guy and really good at his work.

The best thing about this is that the text is supplied and used as is - if they want it proofread - the Indian guy won’t be doing it - I could technically do the proofreading, but I have a proofreader who has a Masters in English for all that.

There’s a few signs in the town where I live.
One says ‘‘Pprestige’’ and there’s another massive sign outside a pub that says ‘‘Daught Beers’’.

Drives me mad when I see them. But then again I shrug and walk on.
There was also a butchers that had ‘‘Glutton Free Food’’ - but I put a sticker ‘‘e’’ over it for them on a walk-by.

“Masters in English”? Didn’t you mean “Masters in english”?

I apologize for any rude comment that came out from me. And a special apology to @sprout and @Smurf2 for the unnecessary argument that we had couple of days ago.

I met a lot of arrogant designers/business owners in these almost 4 years of my career. People I’ve worked with/for who talks too much but have yet anything to show. That somehow built a thing in me to keep quiet a lot of times and not call out bs just to avoid unnecessary arguments.

The thing is, I just can’t stay quiet when someone calls my work “shit” and “crap” without carrying any points to tackle. I’ve posted other projects here and got some feedback from the others, which I highly appreciate. I got some few tips like the typography with the Heart Agency project.

@sprout I thank you for your tips and remarks on the logo itself, because yes it’s a bit unclear and it was a tough task all in all. I apologize once again for what came out from me afterwards.

@Just-B I’d love to know more, or basically learn how to balance out the compositions yet make it practical. Just like the case with the last post. If you got any book or tips I’d be very much grateful.

Thanks to everyone and my apologies once again. Please don’t take it to the heart and let’s end this stupid “drama” here.

2 Likes

I appreciate the apology.

Stick around. As I mentioned, there are a lot of experienced people around here who can really help you. You just have to be open to it and not take things personally.

I only wish I’d had this kind of resource at your age.

Onwards and upwards.

1 Like

Fair enough, thanks.

I never said your work was ‘shit’ and ‘crap’.

Although, I should spend more time explaining myself, which I can do easily.

I did get into a rut of seeing the same thing over and over and then you lose patience and just post the short answer - which does look like being a jerk and probably not helpful.

I’m 25 years in the business. And it’s easy to forget I started out at some point too. I had mentors over the years too.

Happy to draw a line under it and move on.

1 Like

Nope, definitely not!

Why? Aren’t you a native English speaker?

In both uses of the word, it is a proper noun, therefore the Cap E is correct – at least it is, this side of the pond. Not sure in US English.

Unless it’s a specific master’s degree, master’s is a common possessive noun, which calls for lowercase and an apostrophe. English is a proper noun — even here in the colonies.

Of course, Eriskay is Canadian, so maybe we’re running across some cryptic Canuck humor.

More Canadian humor from Eriskay, maybe? Would an Irishman ever admit to English being his first language?

1 Like

My sarcasm seems to take a little twist-and-turn before reaching where it wants to go.

@sprout You’re absolutely right, and I agree completely. My subtlety is ultimately my downfall. Your points are spot-on.

@Smurf2 I apologize for using you as a human shield.

@Just-B Your Irishman reference splits me up!

I’d had ale, hence being a super-pedant and all things subtle going straight over my head.

Hang on … they do anyway!

1 Like

It’s challenging to not be resentful of crowdsourcing minions as they degrade the industry, and a lot of them seem to visit here.

… and what does it say about this forum?

That it’s full of enablers?

1 Like

For the past year — literally until yesterday — I belonged to a Facebook group titled Logo Geek. It was completely full of amateur designers trying to make money from crowdsourcing logos.

The lack of basic knowledge displayed there was always stunning. Yesterday, a guy showed his logo design that contained a hyphenated adverb. Not one person out of the 50 or so who commented mentioned the mistake except me. When I asked about it, he responded that he always spelled words that ended in ly with a hyphen because he thought it looked cool and added excitement.

That was the straw that broke the camel’s back. I quit. I’m not optimistic about the future of this profession.

1 Like

R-1

2 Likes