Artist quotations

Hello Everybody,

for my Bachelor degree this year i am searching for quotations of Artists, Designers etc. which main topic is creativity and inspiration :slight_smile:
Do you have some favorites ( Artist and quotations) which are inspire you?
Do you know some artist who have great methods to get inspirations?

Thanks a lot.

Greatings Flo

My favorite, Salvador Dali.

Picasso is another.

“I don’t think there is such a thing as a moment of inspiration. You get an idea and try it out and it doesn’t work so you try something else until you discover something that pleases you.”
Harold Bertoia, sculptor

“Painting is easy when you don’t know how, but very difficult when you do.”
Edgar Degas, painter

“I drew some pictures I thought fairly good when I was fifty, but really nothing I did before the age of seventy was of any value at all… when I am eighty I shall have developed even further, and I will really master the secrets of art at ninety. When I reach a hundred my work will be truly sublime, and my final goal will be attained around the age of one hundred and ten, when every line and dot I draw will be imbued with life.”
Katsushika Hokusai, painter

sources: The Handbook of Artist Quotations

"Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know it’s normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take awhile. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.”
― Ira Glass, Writer: This American Life

“One mistake is to be so obsessed with the technique is to miss the human factor”

“A professional photograph that answers all the problems of technique, exposure, focusing and so forth. If that’s all it does then one might prefer the amateur photograph that has a good deal of understanding of love.”

Albert Maysles

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it” - Ansel Adams

1 Like