Can anyone recommend a basic graphics program that doesn’t cost too much?
I have been using Visio for 20+ years, but recently upgraded to Office 365 and it isn’t included. A new license costs several hundred dollars.
Visio has some great features, especially for flowcharting, but it is also quirky and there are quite a few things that are difficult or impossible to do with it.
I’ve used Irfanview and Paint. IV is mainly for viewing and Paint is, well, Paint. I also tried GIMP, but found the UI impenetrable.
Here are some of the features that I’d like to have:
- Draw basic shapes.
- Annotate photos and graphic images.
- Support for layers.
- Simple CAD-like drawings with dimensions.
- Color shading and gradients.
- Fit text to curves.
- Support for what Visio calls a stencil – an object that is saved once, as in a library, and can then be used multiple times without having multiple copies (for large images).
- Support for null backgrounds (png and gif).
- An active user forum.
- I’d like support for flowcharting, but that is not critical.
I’d like to pay up to $50, if possible, but could go to $100 or so for a really great program that is easy to use, has a great UI, and great support.
Thanks for any help