BEBAS NEUE - The new Comic Sans?

Hi friends! What are you’re thoughts on BEBAS NEUE? Is it the new Comic Sans? Is it overused? What do we think? Is it unprofessional to use Bebas Neue in 2023? Personally I like this font a lot, but after reading about it, it feels like this font is no longer used by professionals, just by newbies? Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

1 Like

Nah - comic sans is comical in the way it’s used.
You see it used for serious posters and it’s not a serious font.

It’s a fun whimsical font - certainly not the right tone for a funeral.

2 Likes

Is Bebas Neue popular? Yes. Is it overused? Yeah, probably. Is it a good looking face? Yes, definitely. Is it the new Comic Sans? No. Sometimes the crowd gets it right. Bebas is one of those times. Twenty years ago DIN was a very popular font that showed up all over the place. Another example of a great looking font that was overused for a period.

2 Likes

Comic Sans became overused because it was included with Windows for any and everybody to use. Bebas Neue isn’t plagued by that problem.

In addition, Comic Sans is only an appropriate typeface where an amateurishly sloppy comic book typeface is needed. Unfortunately, people began using it for all kinds of projects where almost any other typeface would have been more appropriate.

Again, Bebas Neue doesn’t have that problem (yet). It’s a nice, if not very original, typeface that only comes in one weight and no lowercase. It’s certainly not the new Comic Sans or Papyrus.

To tell the truth, I was barely aware this font existed, let alone that it might have been overused. I’ve never had a need for it since I have other fonts that fill the same niche and are considerably more flexible with lowercase and multiple widths and weights.

1 Like

I had to look it up online.
I’ve never seen it. Maybe I’m just lucky? (There’s always tomorrow, LOL!)

1 Like

Add me to the list of the unaware. Using it would be neither professional nor unprofessional. Any font can be a good choice or bad, depending on the application, design objectives, and whatever biases may prevail among those forming and expressing an opinion.

1 Like

Not even close. I’m appalled on behalf of Bebas Neue and it’s creator. :sweat_smile:

1 Like