Best Lense - 35mm vs 50mm

I want to know best lens between 35 mm and 50 mm.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on what you intend to photograph.

2 Likes

That would be a nice point to start.

What is your subject?

1 Like

When I was in the market for a wide, prime lens (not super-wide) I chose the 35mm for my DSLR.
my DSLR bumped the 35mm lens close to a regular (SLR) Nifty Fifty style lens.

I like it a lot. lightweight (I only bought the cheeper 1.8 not the 3-4x more 1.4 lens). easy to use. compact.

but…as others asked…what is your intent with the lens. why are you looking at that lens?
I wanted a prime lens for better low light, for the need to either move my feet or realize i can’t/shouldn’t just zoom and look at the scene differently.

Here’s a quick snap I took of my daughter with the lens one evening (I was trying to get shots of my son for his birthday movie [I’ll post one I used from that set too] and she was bugging me to take her photo, so I turned took 8-10 quick snaps and back to focusing on my son). I think the photo turned out nicely a little soft on the one eye but it was a quick snap.

Her shot:

His movie cover (yeah, he has some food between one of his teeth, saw that later and fixed it on the real cover):

That totally depends on what you’ll be shooting. Neither is better nor worse than the other.

35mm will give you a wider shot, and 50mm will be a bit closer in. Personally, if I had to pick one over the other, I’d choose a 35mm lens over 50mm because I tend to like to get more in the shot. If I took more photos of people, however, I’d likely be apt to buy a 70mm lens to focus in more closely on the subject matter. 50mm is sort of a compromise between the two, I suppose. Have you considered a 35mm to 70mm zoom lens?

What are you shooting?

It depends on your camera too! I have a crop sensor camera, so my 35mm lens works like a 50mm lens would on a full frame camera.

Do you have a standard kit lens? If you do, adjust your zoom to 35mm for a day and play around with it. Then to 50mm and see how you go. If you find you have a preference between the too, the choice should be easy.

I think this would be the best way to see what you like. I don’t use my zoom lens (standard kit 18-55mm) very much because I often shoot in low light and love how fast my prime lens is.

This all depends on how close you want to be to your subject. You also have to review the lenses based on your camera. Some wide angle lenses will produce more of a distortion, especially on the edges of the frame, that you may not want to deal with.

Personally, I purchased a 50 mm f1.8 and looked more for the aperture range than the focal length.

There are some great YouTube videos out there that have reviewed the different focal length for various cameras. You can start there.

35mm or wider if you are into scene (background) and 50mm (and longer) if you are more into subjects

In most cases I use 50mm because I suck at photographing other stuff than people/family. Especially architecture :wink:

Of any my best lenses are:
35mm - Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon MC 35mm 2.4
50mm-58mm Super Takumar 50mm 1.4, Auto Takumar 55mm 2.0, Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 58mm 2.0, Meyer Gorlitz Optik 58mm 1.9,
Other FL
Carl Zeiss Jena 75mm 1.5
Meyer Gorlitz Optik Trioplan 100mm 2.8