Bilingual Letterform, Lettermark Logo?

Hey everyone,
I live in Canada, so many companies are registered in English and French,
and I’m honestly not sure how to divide a logo project up…

If a letterform logo is a logo with one letter…which do I choose? lol
Also if I do a letter mark logo…do I save them as separate files, or combine them together,

Like this forum is called Graphic Design Forums and the logo is GDF… and G in the favicon
but in french it would be like Forum de Graphic (FDG…and in canada a business might be called
Graphic Design Forums Forum De Graphic…Would I abbreviate it to GDF-FDG as a lettermark?
Or make one GDF and one FDG…and one GDF-FDG?

Thanks.

There are a lot of references when you type in “English-French bilingual logos” in Google.

The answer that comes first to me is, if something isn’t working, try something totally different.

That said, the one Canadian print company I deal with has a letterform mark and it is the French version. Cuz that is where they live. And they are proud of it. They don’t have an English version even though quite a lot of their work comes from the US.

I can’t answer the French portion of this as I know nothing about French and the worse thing I could do is guess for you lol. However, when working on files in Illustrator, which I assume you are using…could be wrong, you can save multiple artboards that you are using all at once. You would go to file > export > save for screens OR Alt+CTRL+E. If you need your favicon as an svg vs your logo to be a png, for example, then I believe you’d have to save one at a time. I save everything together so I can keep track of my logos easily.

If the logo needs to represent a company that uses a different spelling depending on the language, why would you even consider using a letter for the logo if the letter differs from one language to the next?

This is the single biggest problem with word marks — they just can’t be depended upon to work in other languages.

1 Like

©2021 Graphic Design Forum | Contact | Legal | Twitter | Facebook