Borrow the images before your purchase?

Is there a stock website that you can borrow the images for graphic design work before you purchase the image? You basically get a chances to see if the images actually work with your design work before you make the purchase. I hope I make sense. Also get a chance to work with the images without water marks.

Most of them allow you to download low-resolution watermarked versions for precisely the reasons you mentioned. Are you asking for higher-quality, unmarked images?

1 Like

Great if most do. I am not asking for higher-quality, unmarked images. Having marks on them should be fine. Does depositphotos.com allow you to download low- resolution watermarked version? Because I don’t see a download button for low-resolution watermarked version. Should I be copying and pasting the image shown. Or can you give an example of a website that does it?

Adobe Stock photos allow you to search from within the Adobe app for the image you want. You can p place the water marked image and purchase then once you like them

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/indesign/using/using-adobe-stock-in-indesign.html

Other stock sites, you can preview the image and use the right click and save image as

It will have a long name. Keep the number of the image in the file name, you can use this to find the image on the stock site again.

1 Like

On Depositphotos, if you hover your cursor over the photo, a round arrow appears at the bottom of the photo that says, “Download Comp.”

iStockPhoto allows this. I have used them for years without any problems. The comp photos come with an “iStockPhoto” watermark embedded and are sometimes lower resolution than the high res actual photo does after you purchase it.

1 Like

Thanks Just B - I found the button and it worked. Downloaded

Smurf2- Thanks. I checked out the link. To use Adobe stock i would have to get familiar with being a Creative Cloud subscriber. That’s a new road for me. I am going to skip that road for now. Thanks though for also mentioning to keep the number of the image in the file name. nice tip

PopsD - I find istockphoto to be to expensive. I use to use them but I don’t remember the prices being so high before. I don’t want to do a subscription. I want to grab a few images. I am skipping istockphoto, because I was checking a download for an image it was about $36. nope I am not going to use istock

It’s been years since I done graphic design work. I am rusty.

I created my graphics project using low-resolution watermarked versions. I presented the work to the client and they liked the work. But they are asking me in an email “All the rights are clear?” What do they mean when they are discussing rights? Before hand I explained that the images are water marked when I shared the work. So do I respond that the images need to be purchased to have the rights to the image?

The cost of the images are passed on to the client. Why are you worried about this? Even the cost of creative cloud should be a passed on cost to the client.

Have you made it clear to the client that there’s a cost in each image. I usually send them a PDF portfolio of images that suit the project and the price of each.

I make it clear they can go and buy the images from the site themselves. But if I am doing the research, holding the account and downloading there is a 10% added on to the cost for my labour.

This usually gets them to on the site and download them and send to me.

Anyway, by rights they the mean the images are not copyright and the license when bought covers the rights to use the image. All stock sites have different terms and conditions.

For instance I needed to purchase extended licenses for a pharmaceutical billboard. And the text had to say the image uses a model who is not associated with the product, or something like that.

Having clients set up their own account to download stock images means that they own the license to use the images down the road in other ways, which is good. When I download the image from my account, the license belongs to me since those licenses aren’t typically transferable to the client — even when clients pay me for them, which isn’t so good.

1 Like

Yes - it depends on the stock site - for instance Shutterstock have their policy that the person who purchases it is the sole license holder, and it’s non-transferable. However, iStock have it worded that if you are an employer/employee and purchasing on behalf of a client it’s ok. You need to share the license agreement with the client who must hold up the license usage. And iStock allow sub-contractors, that is a mailing house for example doing mutliple mail shots of different categories.

You can buy multi-seat licenses - which is always a great option.

Othewise you’ll need to read, understand and abide by the license agreement.

I had this argument the other day about software - the old Adobe model argument - and someone said that if you want to own the software instead of renting it - which really annoyed me - you never own software - you only license it.

And you only license stock images - you don’t own them. There have been on cretain occasions I did contact the stock site to ask them to see if the author of the photo would sell me the image. I managed it once, paid a bout £2500 for it - and they removed it from stock sites that they listed it on.

It was then our image to do what we liked with.

When it comes to image/fonts/software - you only license them, you don’t own them.
It’s a huge misconception across these things.

1 Like

I want to keep the cost low because this is a volunteer job. My client is volunteer-run, unincorporated not for profit organization.

Anyways, thanks for the discussion. There is a lot of info. I will reread for later

Istock got bought out by Getty about 10 years and Getty changed the price structure.

To find the cheapest price, download a watermarked comp then do a Google image search. If it’s a non-exclusive image it will show up on other stock sites, one of which may have more suitable pricing. For instance, I’ve got the same stock image for sale on Getty and their price is $499. The same image on iStock is $33. 123RF is $8. Same image, same rights, different pricing.

1 Like

THank you for the tip. I tried to google search the 3 images I used for the project from depositphotos. I couldn’t find other stock sites on them. Too bad.

I wonder if other members on the forum have useful ways to do searches on the internet for images. I hope they share

Have you tried TinEye?

1 Like

I use Chrome. If I come across and image and want to know more about it for whatever reason, I right click and “Search Google for image”.
You can also save it and upload it to Google and it will do a site wide search as well. (Much like TinEye)

Nope I haven’t heard of tinyeye. It seems like it does the same thing as Google image search.

But better.

2 posts were split to a new topic: New Member Question